Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DHA Supplements?

Default Re: DHA Supplements?

Just getting to this thread.... sorry; I actually don't have any off-the-top info to offer on this one, but if I get some time later (no promises; if I get a big chunk of work done before the end of the week I get to take a few days off next week - so I really want to!) I'll try to look into it.
    -linda

i take flax supplements and add the oil to my salads and protein shakes because my skin is dry, i have white bumps on my arms, and my hair isn't as silky as it once was. i have been told by my nutricionist that these are the telltale sings of needing more essential fatty acids in your diet.
    hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by kristenco
    I think formula's probably got to be better than malnourished BM, right?
    Actually, that's not right. Breastmilk is some pretty amazing stuff ... look what LLL's page - Maternal Nutrition during Breastfeeding - says:

"In recent years, research has confirmed that even if some nutrients are missing in a woman’s daily diet, she will still produce milk that will help her child grow. There is very little difference in the milk of healthy mothers and mothers who are severely malnourished. For example, if a mother’s diet is lacking in calories, her body makes up the deficit, drawing on the reserves laid down during pregnancy or before. Unless there is a physical reason for low milk production, a woman who breastfeeds on cue will be able to produce enough milk for her baby, regardless of what she eats."

My computer is broken (lots of spit up plus negligent husband = broken Mac!), so I have to cut and paste all my letter o, i, and u's ... so this and all my posts are abbreviated till it's fixed!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

How about a serving of walnuts once a day? I don't do fish either (I'm a vegetarian), so I have been eating walnuts since I found out I was pregnant. I think eating a food with the Omega-3's in it naturally is better than taking a suppliment.

Even if you don't get enough Omega-3's, your breastmilk is still great. Much better than formula.

Another article about the DHA & ARA added to formula:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...-comments.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    Andrea ohio, great link on Omega-3’s! It provides great info on dietary sources of Omega-3’s, and if anyone wants to supplement I would definitely check it out for information on which kinds to buy and how to store them.
    Okay, here’s my (non-scientific) hypothesis: Breastmilk is supposed to contain the perfect nourishment for babies, regardless of the nutrition of the mother. However, there are at least two reasons why a mom might want to add supplements if her dietary nutrition is restricted: (1) for her own health! and (2) “just to be sure.” It seems that a properly packaged and stored Omega 3 supplement is all that is needed for DHA intake in the absence of dietary sources, not a special “DHA” supplement.
    A note on my personal view: there are many sources of such supplements and I would not choose to buy from a formula company, KWIM?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I (& my Dd's) take cod liver oil each day & I also take fish oil. I just started giving Ds (5.5 months) a bit of CLO also.

We use Nordic Naturals, here's the CLO we use: http://www.nordicnaturals.com/profes...mary.asp?ID=84

Fish oil: http://www.nordicnaturals.com/profes...mary.asp?ID=33

As far as the walnuts & flaxseed, our bodies have to convert to EFA's, whereas in CLO & FO, it's alreday in the most absorbable form. (I'll try to dig up some links to back that up.)

Our diets are lacking in the minerals/vitamins/nutrients that we used to consume back when we were hunters/gatherers, hence the supplementation. It's no longer safe to consume large amounts of fish because of pollution & Nordic's products are free of heavy metals, dioxins & PCB's.

Link to info on CLO & DHA: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html
    Last edited by Meta; August 31st, 2006 at 05:18 PM.

"Flax seed oil is often recommended as an omega-3 supplement for children, but there is a problem. Flax seeds contain the omega-3 fatty acid ALA that must be converted to DHA by an enzyme so that the body can incorporate it into cells. The problem is that children make this enzyme only in small amounts, if at all. If they do not have the enzyme they will not benefit from the omega-3 fat in flax seeds. Newborns are completely unable to convert ALA to DHA. A study of breastfeeding mothers who took a flaxseed oil supplement had no resulting increase in their own plasma or breast milk levels of DHA, showing that adults do not make this conversion either (Francois, 2003). Flaxseeds are not an adequate source of DHA."

"Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should take a DHA-containing omega-3 supplement to ensure adequate levels of DHA in breast milk and adequate brain development in their babies. The DHA content of most American women is lower than that in milk from women in most other countries, and the DHA content of a woman's breast milk correlates with her dietary intake of DHA. Vegetarian women have the lowest levels of DHA in their breastmilk (Fidler, 2000). When women supplement their diets with DHA in the form of fish oil, high-DHA eggs, or a DHA-containing algae capsule the content of DHA in their breast milk increases. The increase in breast milk DHA also translates into higher DHA levels in infants (Jensen, 2000). In another study, infants whose mothers took fish oil supplements during pregnancy also had higher blood levels of DHA at birth than a control group that did not take a supplement (Connor, 1996)."

All info from:
    http://www.cure-guide.com/Child_Heal..._and_oils.html

Just be careful if you have a family history of food allergies to seafood. My husband's family does and it scares me to give my little one any type of fish or seafood products. Early introduction can trigger allergies and/or make them more severe.
    Last edited by jentut; August 31st, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Isn't the allergy to shellfish? CLO & FO don't come from shellfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Meta
    "Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should take a DHA-containing omega-3 supplement to ensure adequate levels of DHA in breast milk and adequate brain development in their babies.
    There is no evidence that breastmilk is deficient in DHA, and there is no evidence that DHA supplementation will improve the longterm outcome of baby's health OR I.Q. . ETA: The above statement makes it sound like breastmilk is deficient in DHA ("ensure adequate levels of DHA"), and that if you don't supplement, then your baby may not have adequate brain development.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; September 7th, 2006 at 04:24 PM.