Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DHA Supplements?

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default DHA Supplements?

When I was at my 6-week post-partum check-up, I picked up a free sample of Enfamil's DHA supplements. Very clever of Enfamil! Now they can tap into BOTH markets! I was wondering if anyone else is taking a DHA supplement, and whether it's necessary for someone like me who doesn't eat a lot of fish. Also, any idea where I would pick it up at the store? With the Enfamil formula, or with the vitamins and supplements?

Default Re: DHA Supplements?

Here are a couple of links about this subject:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Nov98p102.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...HA-mother.html

I have read through the materials and this issue is not clear at all. DHA is obviously important, but it's ironic that formulas started adding it to mimic the DHA levels in breastmilk!! I am NOT a scientist or dietician, but if the mother's body can manufacture DHA out of ALA (alpha-linoleic acid)/Omega-3 fatty acids, why should we be taking DHA supplements instead of eating more Omega-3s? And why do we think that our milk is deficient all of a sudden?
    By the way, Omega-3's are not just in fish, but also in flax, canola, and soy oils.
    Linda or someone knowledgeable, please help!!!
    Here's my conspiracy theory: The formula companies started adding DHA and ARA to formula to try and make it more like breastmilk, or at least so they could say, "See, our advanced society has created a formula that is just as good as breastmilk. (talk-to-your-doctor-breast-is-best-but-look-how-cute-this-mom-is-feeding-her-baby-a-bottle-and-your-mother-in-law-wants-you-to-anyway)" Now they are trying to make breastmilk look INFERIOR by saying that breastfeeding moms have to take a DHA supplement to provide their babies with a nutrient that is already in formula.
    HELP!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb
    (talk-to-your-doctor-breast-is-best-but-look-how-cute-this-mom-is-feeding-her-baby-a-bottle-and-your-mother-in-law-wants-you-to-anyway)"
    Too funny

Where have I been? I had no idea about DHA supplements.

oh yea its in that ensure for pg moms... now pg moms need formula too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    oh yea its in that ensure for pg moms... now pg moms need formula too.
    Ha! No kidding! I don't have the best diet, though, so I do take a lot of supplements, and was wondering if this should be one to take, too.

Thanks, but I already posted those links on this thread. (I think the Dr. Sears one is linked in the kellymom article, which by the way points out that Dr. Sears is associated with a commercial DHA supplement producer.)
    I honestly think the information out there is conflicting, and I wonder if we (BFing moms) are being manipulated into undermining BF in the public consciousness. I have heard of two instances very recently where doctors told women that new formulas (presumably with DHA and ARA) are “just as good” as BM. If we subscribe to the idea that we need to take DHA to make our BM as good as formula , are we just pawns in their marketing game?
    Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being crazy?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I don't think your crazy..
    I think theres marking in everything out there.
    I hate that comercial for pedishure.. the one with the little girl and the mom at the store..I don't like (healthy things) so feed me a big can of pedishure and then I'll be healthy.
    Uggg.... I was looking on line for an add for that formula for moms, I'm going to look again...
    http://rpdcon40.ross.com/mn/Ross+MN+...1?OpenDocument
    http://ensure.com/products/ehm.aspx
    hey cool look at this they couldn't sell them so they aren't making it any more. that good news.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb
    If we subscribe to the idea that we need to take DHA to make our BM as good as formula , are we just pawns in their marketing game?
    Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being crazy?
    I don't think you're crazy at all... I totally agree with you, when talking about most women's BM. But, like I said, I have a HORRIBLE diet. For example, I HATE all vegetables... all of them. I can't eat salad with out gagging and gagging. I don't think I could eat a dog turd with any more of a reaction - ha! It was something as a kid I was always told I would outgrow, but I never did.

So, my lifestyle is that I have to cut all of the "junk" out of my diet, and supplement what my diet doesn't give me. Of course, formula is no match for HEALTHY BM. But, I think a lot of people in America, in this day and age, aren't getting all of the vitamins and minerals and fats that are needed to make the best possible milk. I'd be interested to see a study done on the subject... BM of healthy mom vs. BM of malnourished moms. I think formula's probably got to be better than malnourished BM, right? If I didn't take supplements, I would be a malnourished mom, myself. I absolutely agree that BM can be perfect without supplements, but I personally would rather pop a DHA or Flax Oil capsule than eat fish - ew! (I'm SO picky, eh?) I agree about not wanting to support the marketing ploy - because that is what it is... "how can we get the money of the women who bottle-feed AND who breastfeed??" So, maybe I'll start taking flax seed oil again, instead.

And, believe me... I know that supplements are no match for the real thing. But, in my case, it's supplements or malnourishment, and I opt for supplements.