Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough couple days... Encouragment needed PLEASE!

Default Rough couple days... Encouragment needed PLEASE!

AF came on Saturday and it is kicking my butt this month! Saturday and Sunday, I tried to pump like normal (I did my best with a fussy baby!) but yesterday and today... Yesterday I only pumped once (I did manually express during the day) and today I've only pumped once so far. I've been out all day (with family so I couldn't sneak away to pump as they don't know about my relactation) and DS just went down for sleep.

So, have I really undone all my hard work or can I just trick my body into maybe a 'nursing strike'? I have still be taking herbs so I'm not completely off the map. I plan to pump pump pump tonight (I will be pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock for the next 2-4 days to try to make up for this!) and hope for the best.

I feel so guilty. Sunday, I slacked off pumping because I really needed to sleep... I was so tired. Then Monday, I slacked off pumping because again, I was mega tired (Dh and I were up too late the night before... OOPS!) and Caleb was fussy. I just worry that I've undone everything I've worked so hard for!

Someone please tell me that I didn't mess everything up! I'm sure I can get my progress back if I strictly pump every 2-3 hours over the next few days... Right?

TIA!

Default Re: Rough couple days... Encouragment needed PLEASE!

Felicia, I'm not terribly informed about issues of relactation, but my feeling is that you probably have not messed things up in any kind of permanent way! AF affects milk production in many BF moms, so that in inself will have an impact on your production levels. You have made such impressive progress on so many fronts. My best guess would be that if you can try to relax and keep things going, you'll be back on track.... hang in there... don't beat yourself up! And keep in mind that your rest is very important too - both physically and emotionally and mentally. So maybe don't have yourself up every 2 hours during the night to pump!! Find a balance that lets you be healthy on all fronts?? I'm sending you as much support as I can thru this bandwidth! take care!!
    -linda

I'm sorry Felicia, I am also clueless when it comes to relactation. But, I can tell you that I am a pumping fiend and there have been days when I have been really busy or whatever and did not pump all day! I found that if I did not pump often enough for several days that it had an effect on my supply, BUT when I buckled down and made myself take the time to pump, my supply increased again. I do agree that sleep is important however!
    You can do it!! It just wouldn't make sense for those few days to erase all of your hard work. Caleb is a lucky baby to have a devoted mama like you.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks ladies! I have combined my pumping from yesterday and my pumping from today and it's about 1/4 oz. That's not to bad. I just pumped roughly 1/8 oz and I'll pump again in 2 hours. I'll probably go every 4 hours after I got to bed but until I got to bed, it's every 2 hours...

So, my goal tonight is to pump at 8:00pm (done!), 10:00pm, 1:00am, 4:00am, 7:00am, 9:00am and 11:00am.

Off to take herbs... Thanks ladies! I don't feel so bad after pumping and still getting an okay amount.

Good for you!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I dont think one day will ruin all your hard work and youve been working your butt off. Im glad youve got a PM pumping sec. Keep to it, youll be fine~!!!!

Hi sweety,
    You're doing a really fantastic job and i'm sure you'll be feeding your little one pretty soon. Don't panic too much about missing a bit of pumping, I'm sure it won't make too much difference? You can't be superwoman so just look after yourself. Some days our baby's just need us, and there's no time for anything else. just remember you're a super mum and keep doing your best.
    Good luck!

Felicia,

I have not had to deal with relactation, but totally understand that you have a full plate and the adjustments can be such a challenge!! However, the great thing is that God made our bodies so wonderfully, that though you have missed, you should be able to pick it back up, the important thing is to rest and relax (lactation is all hormonal) so stress and worry can counteract all of your best efforts. Keep giving it your best!!
    Jennifer

Thanks ladies!

I did manage to wake up and pump at 11pm but that was the only time I woke up. I am pumping now (7am) and am aiming for every 2 hours from here. I'm still getting decent amounts so I don't think I've hurt myself too much...

Thanks again ladies!!

hey no worries! i have had many days like that. It does happen and we don't always have the time. It isn't going to do much damage IMO as long as you pump good today!
    also before aidan would BF i would pump only the times he woke up. some nights wasn't at all. i would go weeks with only day pumping. I do think pumping at night will help your supply build faster but in the same sense being well rested makes pumping during the day much easier!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*