Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please share your weaning story

Default Please share your weaning story

I am weaning my 12mth old and all seems to be going well. We are down to 2/3 nursing sessions a day and he is happy to drink from his sippy cup. I am happy that its going well but I can't imagine what its like to not nurse frst thing in the morning or last thing at night, my favorite times. I think it will be easier to replace the nightime feed rather than the morning. I am not against extended nursing at all but I just feel this is the right time for us. Plus I had been dairy free for 10mths due to his dairy allergy so I am ready to eat icecream and drink chocolate milk again! Just wanted to share with people who understand! That last nursing session must be very sad, just like the night I first put him in his own room to sleep at 6mths old and broke my heart crying!
    For those that are going through it or have been there done that, how was it? Did you miss it afterwards?

Default Re: Please share your weaning story

I wish I had a weaning story. But I am a boobie slave to my demanding 2-year old. I fear weaning.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Bump
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

It's funny to find this post today; last night I was feeling really sad that Thomas doesn't nurse anymore.

He nursed exclusively until 6 months, then gradually started solids (we did baby-led, which worked well for us). Around a year, maybe 15 months (it's so hard to remember now ), he dropped to nursing first thing in the morning and at bedtime. (I think it was around a year that he dropped his noon feeding.)

At around 18 months, he dropped the morning session, and I was heartbroken. I really wanted to make it until he was at least 2. I continued to offer in the morning, but he was much more interested in what he was having for breakfast in terms of solids than in what I could offer. LOL. I was incredibly sad at the thought of losing that special connection with him, but I promised myself (and him) that I would follow his lead. He continued nursing at bedtime, but it became shorter and shorter each time, and around Thanksgiving, I thought he was done because he went a week without nursing at all. I kept offering (once every night--"do you want to nurse?"), but he wasn't interested. After his week "off", he started nursing again at bedtime, but it was very quick each night. On December 27 (the day after his 21-month birthday), he nursed for the last time. I knew it was probably the end, and I lay there holding him and feeling the tears run down my cheeks; I knew the sweetest thing I would ever experience was about to be over. And it was--after that for a few weeks I'd offer, but he just laughed and turned away. It was really hard for me, but I will always be grateful for our time nursing, and for the ease with which it happened for him. It was a natural progression, and I couldn't have asked for more. (Even though I did. LOL)

I still miss it terribly. Now he'll point to my breasts and say "breast" and "nurse," and wait for me to ask if he wants to nurse, which is his cue to fall down laughing. He'll pat my shoulder and say, "No, mummy, EAT."
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; May 11th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    It's funny to find this post today; last night I was feeling really sad that Thomas doesn't nurse anymore.

He nursed exclusively until 6 months, then gradually started solids (we did baby-led, which worked well for us). Around a year, maybe 15 months (it's so hard to remember now ), he dropped to nursing first thing in the morning and at bedtime. (I think it was around a year that he dropped his noon feeding.)

At around 18 months, he dropped the morning session, and I was heartbroken. I really wanted to make it until he was at least 2. I continued to offer in the morning, but he was much more interested in what he was having for breakfast in terms of solids than in what I could offer. LOL. I was incredibly sad at the thought of losing that special connection with him, but I promised myself (and him) that I would follow his lead. He continued nursing at bedtime, but it became shorter and shorter each time, and around Thanksgiving, I thought he was done because he went a week without nursing at all. I kept offering (once every night--"do you want to nurse?"), but he wasn't interested. After his week "off", he started nursing again at bedtime, but it was very quick each night. On December 27 (the day after his 21-month birthday), he nursed for the last time. I knew it was probably the end, and I lay there holding him and feeling the tears run down my cheeks; I knew the sweetest thing I would ever experience was about to be over. And it was--after that for a few weeks I'd offer, but he just laughed and turned away. It was really hard for me, but I will always be grateful for our time nursing, and for the ease with which it happened for him. It was a natural progression, and I couldn't have asked for more. (Even though I did. LOL)

I still miss it terribly. Now he'll point to my breasts and say "breast" and "nurse," and wait for me to ask if he wants to nurse, which is his cue to fall down laughing. He'll pat my shoulder and say, "No, mummy, EAT."

ahh Paula that story breaks my heart! I am currently nursing a 19 month old who nurses non stop some days and other days only once . I do get fed up with it sometimes (often) and have to remind myself that these days are numbered and that I should live in the moment.

TFS
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I read this and type as I nurse
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

I love it when they fall down laughing. It's great that you remember the last time he nursed.

My DD2 turned 2 in Feb and we've been before night-night nursing and nap on weekend nursing only for months. I'm trying to follow her lead on weaning, but she's still not indicating a need to drop the before bed nursing. She dropped am nursing on her own in favor of breakfast. In a way, I'm ready to be done, but mostly I really like the before bed nursing to bond and relax for a bit. So, I suppose I'm in no hurry. Paula - yours just stopped asking? I hope I will be able to follow her lead.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama-cpa View Post
    Paula - yours just stopped asking? I hope I will be able to follow her lead.
    He did. Honestly if I hadn't kept asking him, I'm not sure if he would have asked, KWIM? When he was a baby he was very insistent about it, but as he got older and ate more solids, he was pretty happy either way. He didn't seem to care where food came from as long as it appeared!

I hated losing that part of our connection, but I will say that the affection and closeness have not diminished at all, which was my fear; if anything, they've grown, and that has helped me a lot. Plus it's hard to beat walking through the door after work and being tackled by a 25-lb whirlwind!