Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Relactating

Default Help with Relactating

Hi ladies

I'm so happy that I found this forum I need help & encouragement!! I have just begun trying to relactate & just don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will take to see any milk. My LC said we'd know in a week if it was gonna work & so far, no milk has appeared.

My story: I had a breast augmentation & lift that was performed through the areola. My surgeon as well as my OB both told me I'd never bf. So, I basically didn't try too hard My ds wouldn't stay latched on so I just assumed that he wasn't getting anything. BUT then, once we were home from the hospital, I was leaking after being in the shower so I put him to the breast & I heard him swallow a few times! I had really struggled with bf'ing my older 2 dd's & went into this pregnancy thinking I'd ff. My dh (who now says he's sorry) reminded me how bad my bf'ing experiences had been before & encouraged me to go forward with ff'ing. So, we did. Fast forward to now. My ds is 5.5 mo & is allergic to everything under the sun (or so it seems). He has to drink an extremely expensive, amino acid-based formula. He is a little behind developmentally & I think it's b/c of lack of good nutrition.

I've been taking Reglan for 6 days (10 mg 4xday) and pumping for 5 days (8 or 9 xday). Would Domperidone be better? My ob wouldn't prescribe it. She said it isn't safe Is it too soon to see any milk or should I be seeing something by now? Even a drop would greatly encourage me!!

Thanks!!

Default Re: Help with Relactating

Thanks for the reply So, you don't think the domperidone would be better than the Reglan? I am using a hospital-grade pump called a Hygeia Endeare. When I went to rent one, they didn't have any Symphonys in.

Wendy
    ~momma to dd(8), dd(6) & ds(5.5mo)

Also, the Reglan makes me SUPER tired & gives me a headache. Are these side effects the same with domperidone? I feel a little weepy but i wouldn't say I feel depressed.

~Wendy

YAY I've had drops (just sitting on end of nipple) after last 2 pumping sessions!!!!! There is life in there That really motivates me to keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wendow1 View Post
    Hi ladies

I've been taking Reglan for 6 days (10 mg 4xday) and pumping for 5 days (8 or 9 xday). Would Domperidone be better? My ob wouldn't prescribe it. She said it isn't safe Is it too soon to see any milk or should I be seeing something by now? Even a drop would greatly encourage me!!

Thanks!!
    Hi, I took domperidone with my daughter and I didnt have any side effects.

I was going through my older posts when i was relactating and thought that it might help.

I started to relactate on May 13, 2008 i just took fenugreek and blessed thistle to begin with and pumped like crazy. I pumped every 2-4 hrs during the day and i didnt pump at night.

at the begining of june the 1st or 2nd week i think i got the dom.
    here is a post that i posted on June 15th,2008
    ***I am so a diffrent person now! I was so frustrated not able to get much milk out only a few drops. I was about ready to give up. We tryed the dom and I fell in love. When i started we only got a few drops with the dom just like i was getting with the herbs. I took the dom for 4 days and pumped every 2 hrs and didnt notice any changes. My poor breasts were so sore so i stoped. 2 days later I said to myself. I cant give up i have 2 boxes of this stuff and need to give it one more try so i pumped that morning and got more than a few drops. I said hey im doing pretty good. That day I got 1/4 teaspoon total all day. {Put it in the fridge for tomarrows} The next day in the am i pump and get 1/4 teaspoon right off the bat. I was excited, i gave it to alexis in a syringe with the day befores amount. It has been increasing like that all week. this weekend i didnt pump like i was suposta maybe 3 times a day. we were on vacation but i am now up to about 1/2 ounce at a time. I am hoping that by pumping reguallary this week i can get up at least a ounce at a time.
    I am so excited. I just wanted to share my sucess and to think i was going to give up.
    1/2 oz may not seem like a lot but when i started with a drop I feel like i am on top of the world.
    -----

Here is a list of the progress that i made....

Pumping 6 xs a day
    June
    16th 61ml
    17th 71ml
    Pumped 5x a day
    18th 81ml
    pumped 4x day
    19th 93ml
    pumped 3x day
    20th 106ml
    21st 115ml
    22nd 147ml
    23rd 136ml
    24th 175ml(pumped 4x)
    25th 157(i was real busy this day)
    26th 5 1/2 oz
    27th 6 oz
    28th 7 oz
    29th 7 1/2oz
    30th 7 3/4 oz
    July
    1st 8 oz
    2nd 8 1/2oz
    3rd 9oz

Thanks to you for support, and my 2 new best friends Dom and Medela!
    Every day i get more excited that I get more and more milk. I also have been using hand expression to. I can normally get out about well at least 1 tsp up to 2tsp.
    --

By August 13,2008 i was making 28-30oz a day.. so it took me about 3mo to make that amount.
    Hand expression is good after you pump IMO, it helps empty the breast more.

I think that keeping track of you progress daily helped give me encouragement. I used a medicine cup, it had ml on one side and tsp on the other if u want i can see if i can find it and send it to you.
    Here is where i started:
    I did 20mg 4x a day to start, but found it hard to remember so i switched to 30mg 3xs a day.
    Now i am taking 40mg 3xs a day ---( this was on July 11,2008)
    But you can find the info in this link http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19a-domperidone1.html

Im sorry that this is so long so if you have any questions feel free to ask!!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    How long are you pumping at each session? Have you considered consulting an IBCLC certified lactation consultant. An LC could work with you on getting DS to the breast in addition to tweaking the logistics.
    Thanks Beth I pump about 8 times a day for usually 20-30 mins each time. I do have an IBCLC LC & she did say that once I am making milk she "has a few tricks" for getting ds to the breast. As you know, that really isn't my main concern. I just need to make milk to hopefully help his little tummy! Thanks for cheering me on!!

Kristina,

Thanks for that post detailing your relactation! That is SO, SO, SO encouraging!! You did awesome I hope I have half the success you had. I'll be happy just about that!

I think I have one of those little medicine cups that has the different measurements so once I am getting more than 2 drops, I'll start using it to keep track. I love that idea!

I ordered some Dom this past Thursday so hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can really get things going. I'm also trying to figure out which herbal supplements to take. Are you familiar with the Motherlove ones? Some of theirs look really good.

Anyway, I'm definitely encouraged by your post so thanks!!

~Wendy

I relactated and make about 12 oz a day. I really think the amount you make has to do with how much of a supply you had to begin with before weaning. I only bf my second baby for about 2 weeks. I take dom and I know that without it I don't think I would have had much success. At the beginning I would pump every 2-3 hours and at night every 4-5. It's slow progress at first, I would use a syringe to measure how much I was making, now I get about 3 oz everytime I pump. Once you have milk definately try to get your baby to breast. I really think if I could have gotten my son to breast I would have probably been exclusively bf but the pump just isn't effective as the baby. BUT saying that it is definately rewarding to see him eat breastmilk that I make for him. Anyways good luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Thanks for the response I only bf for about 2 days so I never built up a supply with this baby. I also believe that I won't make as much b/c of that but I have to try. And any I get that I can give to him, will be worth it. Good for you for relactating!! It's such hard work!

Wendy
    ~mama to dd(8), dd(6), & ds (almost 6 mos)

How are you doing momma?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz