Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress report and question

Default Progress report and question

I've now been pumping for 3 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days. My twin babies via surrogacy will be born within a month. I am getting around 6 oz per day (1 full oz in a pump session, at my peak during the day). I know it's going slow, but at least I'm making progress...

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what I should prepare for. While I would prefer to not supplement, I know it's a possibility, even if I'm using my own frozen milk, or the milk my surrogate pumps. I don't want to be caught in a bind when they are born and not have a plan in place, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure by thinking that will happen (did that make sense?). I was wondering what delivery method would be best IF I have to give them extra. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and purchase a Lact-aid or SNS system? Or should I wait and see what happens?

I want so badly to be able to nurse exclusively, but I also know I need to be realistic.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

Default Re: Progress report and question

Wow, congratulations on the progress you've made! Totally awestuck over here.

I'd go ahead and buy that SNS a week or two before the babies are due. The SNS is usually around $50- a small amount when compared to the cost of all the junk you'll be buying for your babies once they are old enough to point at brightly-colored plastic toys on the shelf at the store!

Hopefully you won't have to use it, and can return it unopened. But if you do run into a situation where you need to use it, you'll be glad you had it the instant you needed it instead of having to wait for shipping...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

when are you getting them? as soon as they are born? I think if you are going to be there for the birth and get them right after to nurse then IMO i really dont think that you will need the sns. Babies are much better at getting the milk out then a pump. and the more they nurse the more you make. but thats just my opinion
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

You are amazing. I just wanted to say that.

As for supplementing, I agree with both pps. If you will be there from birth and able to nurse right away, hopefully you won't have to but it would be nice to already have the sns there and ready in the event you need it. Better than resorting to a bottle because you don't have it.

No matter what, you are doing an amazing thing providing your babies with any amount of your breastmilk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Just wanted to say how awesome it is that you are inducing lactation for your new babies on the way!!! I noticed in your siggy that you said you are "inducing lactation through pumping alone, no meds..." Just wanted to throw this out there for you... I realize you probably want to keep it "all natural" for your babies and are trying to avoid using any meds to help your lactation process, but many of the mamas here have used various herbs and meds to help boost their supply and/or help promote lactation. Just wanted to say that you might have more success and get more output when you pump if you consider adding herbs and/or meds that help stimulate lactation. If you are interested in knowing more, there are LOTS of threads here that may help, or feel free to PM me.

Good luck on your lactation journey!!! It is such an awesome gift you will be able to give your babies, to give them an awesome start in life with your milk.

Buff
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; May 14th, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typos
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I realize you probably want to keep it "all natural" for your babies and are trying to avoid using any meds to help your lactation process, but many of the mamas here have used various herbs and meds to help boost their supply and/or help promote lactation.
    Oh, my not using meds or herbs has nothing to do with wanting to be "all natural." I would take them in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately, my doctors won't let me take the meds because of the risk of heart issues, and when I tried taking the herbs I got heart palpitations. The reason I'm using a surrogate in the first place is because of the risk to my heart (I have complex congenital heart defects) and I would hate to cause problems if they can be avoided.

I do drink the "Mother's Milk" tea and don't seem to have issues with that. Sometimes I think about trying the herbs again, but worry that I'd just start having the palps again...

As for when I get the babies... They are already mine. We will be in the delivery room (assuming we get there in time) and our surrogate included in her birth plan that they should be allowed to go to my breasts as soon as possible.

I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase an SNS, just in case. I may go ahead and use it to get my surrogate's colostrum to my babies, since I didn't get a whole lot of that. I've been praying and praying that when they're born they will have a good suck, we'll get the hang of the latch thing, and that they'll be able to get more from me than the pump has been.
    Niki

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*librarymama View Post
    I may go ahead and use it to get my surrogate's colostrum to my babies, since I didn't get a whole lot of that.
    That's a great idea. Your surrogate can pump and store the colostrum, so that you can give it by bottle after breastfeeding is established, or by SNS as it's being established, or your surrogate could even breastfeed the babies directly, if that's okay with you. Having two women teaching the babies to latch could be a good thing for you and for the babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it would be wise to get together with some local help...
    Either your local LLL Leader or a LC.
    IT sounds like your off to a more then wonderful start!

If the babies come early you'll need the local support!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    I think it would be wise to get together with some local help...
    Either your local LLL Leader or a LC.
    IT sounds like your off to a more then wonderful start!

If the babies come early you'll need the local support!
    The problem is, the babies won't be born locally. We live 3 hours away from my surrogate. I have an LC that I'm renting my pump from, and the pediatrician has an LC that he works with, so I'm not worried about when we come home. I am pretty sure there will be access to an LC in the hospital too, so hopefully I'll be covered there as well.

Thanks for the encouraging words!
    Niki

I ordered a Lact-Aid yesterday and it should be here at the beginning of next week. I hope I barely use them! LOL
    Niki