Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to stop pumping at work

Question trying to stop pumping at work

Hi all,
    I have a 9 month old daughter and have been pumping at work and nursing at home and weekends. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on tapering down and eventually stopping pumping at work and still being able to just nurse at night. Is this possible or does your body dry up milk production. if you don't express around the clock, can you have enough to feed the baby just at night or on weekends?
    Thanks!

Default Re: trying to stop pumping at work

I don't have any BTDT advice for stopping pumping at work prior to baby being about 15 months old. But I can tell you that once my daughter got to be about 15 months old I stopped pumping at work and was more than able to nurse her at night and on the weekends. I went into Monday being a bit full but it wasn't a big deal. My daughter did tend to nurse more on the weekends but that was expected.

Is it possible for you to hold off on the stopping pumping until she's a year old?

Hi!,
    How much are you pumping? How much is your daughter taking while you are at work?
    Much depends on how much she is taking while you are away, how much solid foods she is taking, etc. As she takes more other types of foods, you might then be able to "relax" the pumping schedule a little.
    If your approach to reducing pumping is gradual, you should be able to watch for signs of your supply diminishing too much and make any adjustments needed.
    Hopefully others will be able to share their experiences here, too.
    HTH,
    Mary

I am soooo glad someone has asked this question. My ds is also almost 9 months old and I am really looking forward to ditching the pump at work! The pump is the only thing I am starting to hate about bf'ing. Any insight from mommys who have done it would be great!

Thanks for all your replies. I have been pumping every 4hours getting about 6oz per session. Baby drinks about 4 oz-- about 4 bottles over a 10 hour work day. I have somehow managed to accumulate a large freezer supply of milk at my house and my mom's house. My hope is to keep pumping/feeding until about 10-11 months and then gradually stop the pumping and feed her with my freezer supply during the day. Does that sound feasible? Thanks for the advice.

I also pumped at work. I nursed him before I left for work, pumped 3x during the work day, and nursed him when I came home. One thing that really helped me was when he was already 1 I gradually started pumping less. One week 2x, the following week 1x and then completely stopped. You do feel a little discomfort, but it would be difficult to stop suddenly. I do agree with you about pumping though, it can become tiresome. Hang in there once you stop, you'll be glad and proud that you did it.

Maybe some of these responses from past issues of NEW BEGINNINGS will help?

Weaning from the Pump
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct03p183.html
    Working Without Pumping
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun00p98.html

And here are other articles about pumping, also from NB.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

Mary