Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: supply issues again?

Default Re: supply issues again?

I know that you said that you couldn't afford another pump right now, but have you checked ebay? There are pumps on there like the medela pis for 70 bucks. It might help you get a better pumping session than the one you are using right now.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm guessing your pump is electric? Some electric pumps have a letdown button. If you have one, press it a few minutes after you stop seeing milk stream out and it should encourage a second letdown. If you don't have a button, you should be able to increase the speed of the suction somehow- one of the ones I used had a knob you turned to increase/decrease speed. A few minutes after your milk stops, increase the speed of suction and let it go fast for a minute or two. Once milk starts flowing again you can turn the speed back down.

If you use a manual you can do the same thing by just pumping faster for a minute or two.

It doesn't always work, but probably 80% of the time I can get a second letdown.

I know, I don't always find time to pump in the evenings either. As for getting up in the middle of the night- forget it, I can't do it. When I do pump in the evening I shoot for an hour after I've nursed DS to sleep. That way I usually have another hour or two before he wakes again. BUT even if your lo wakes to eat right after you've pumped they will be able to get milk because the pump will never completely empty your breast and you are always making more milk. It might flow slower than usual, but baby will definitely not go hungry because you just pumped.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would like to get a Medela but I am not sure which one to get. We were recently in the hospital with my daughter and they gave me the tubing for the Medela Symphony. I am not sure, nor can I seem to figure out, which other Medela that the tubing will fit. And as for the speed of my pump - there is no letdown button and I have the speed all the way up (there are only three settings) during most of the time I am pumping. I will try to turn it down and then turn it up again to get another letdown. I want everyone to know how much I appreciate your advise and reassurance. This whole motherhood thing is stressful!!

I would like to get a Medela but I am not sure which one to get. We were recently in the hospital with my daughter and they gave me the tubing for the Medela Symphony. I am not sure, nor can I seem to figure out, which other Medela that the tubing will fit. And as for the speed of my pump - there is no letdown button and I have the speed all the way up (there are only three settings) during most of the time I am pumping. I will try to turn it down and then turn it up again to get another letdown. I want everyone to know how much I appreciate your advise and reassurance. This whole motherhood thing is stressful!!

I think all of the Medela tubing is universal. I had the tubing for the Medela lactina and I used it on the Medela Pump in Style. That is what I looked up on ebay, the Medela Pump in Style.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I'm using a friend's PIS and it's great. She had tubing for a different machine and I had to cut a little plastic thing off the end to fit the tubing directly onto the pump, but it works fine.

Try turning the speed down once you get your initial letdown, then turn it back up later to get a second one.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophia.s.mom View Post
    No, I only get one letdown per pumping session. I try to wake up in the middle of the night to pump once but so does my daughter. It is difficult to know when she will wake up as it varies every night. I would just hate for her to wake up hungry and to not have enough to fill her because I just pumped. It is also hard to pump after work because I go home and nurse her and then nurse her again before bedtime. I figure that in a 24-hour period (Monday thru Friday) I nurse her about 4 times and pump 3 times. If I could create more letdown times then I think I could increase my supply.
    How often do you feed her? I asked because I probably away the same amount of time as you. I feed him before I leave and when I get home, but at the sitters he eats a 4oz bottle every 3 hours. At work I pump every 3 hours and I get just enough for the next day.
    Patty

Alex born on Feb 4, 2009 7lb 10oz

I typically feed her every 2 1/2 - 3 hours when I am with her. She sure lets me know when she is hungry! I have been trying all of the suggestions that I received on here and nothing seemed to be working. I still cannot get another letdown when I pump. However, I have seen an acupuncturist one time and can tell a remarkable difference. Just yesterday I pumped only two times at work due to lack of time and ended up getting 11 oz!!!! I was so excited! Typically I will pump three times and get maybe 9 oz. This is a huge difference to me and made me a day ahead of my daughter now. I suggest anyone try it that is having trouble. Also, I have really tried to stop worrying about it and I think the lack of stress that I have now is helping.

Good job mama! Glad to hear that things are looking up!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel