Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supply issues again?

Default supply issues again?

I hate to start another thread on this, but I'm such a worrier about supply. I've been pumping 11-12 oz at work forever, then yesterday and today I barely squeezed out 9. Nothing that I can think of has changed - I'm still on fenugreek (3 caps 2x a day), doing compression, drinking/eating normally, not too stressed (trying anyways!), and still no AF. I checked my pump parts.

The only thing that is remotely different is that I hurt my knee a week ago n I've taken ibuprofen a few times...but from what I read on kellymom that shouldn't matter... any ideas?
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Default Re: supply issues again?

I too do the same thing and my milk seems to be diminishing. It's stressing me out. I take Fenugreek 2 times a day too (3 capsules). Do you drink a lot of water? I've also noticed when I eat more my milk supply is better. Water and food seem to work but I can't stand eating so much. I'm not a big eater, so it's hard to eat so much to help my supply. It does seem to work though. I have nothing left in the freezer now, I'm living on the edge. My baby has eaten all my storage supply. Ugh!

How old is LO?? You could be getting AF...I saw a reduction in supply just before she arrived....You might also be coming down with something...
    You can try increasing fenugreek to 3/3x per day....It helped me when I dipped....HTH!!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

You mean AF could be coming AGAIN or for the first time it does this? Does it decrease each month when you have AF? That is lame. Yeah I might have to increase my fenugreek. Worth a try I suppose!

I, too, am having difficulty with maintaining a good supply. This is my first time on the forum and am hoping for some other advise. My daughter is 4 months old and I have been back to work for about one month. I pump 2-3 times at work and breastfeed at home when I am with her. I am lucky to get 3 1/2 ounces total each time I pump - it is usually closer to 2 1/2. This is not enough to feed her. I am taking 4 Fenugreek capsules in the morning and 4 at night. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. I have tried the Mother's Milk tea but just cannot stand the taste. I am at a loss of what else to do. It is a constant battle that is causing me to feel depressed and inadequate for my own child. Please help.

Sophia's mom, how long are you away from your daughter? How many times/day do you pump and for how long? What kind of pump do you have?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophia.s.mom View Post
    I, too, am having difficulty with maintaining a good supply. This is my first time on the forum and am hoping for some other advise. My daughter is 4 months old and I have been back to work for about one month. I pump 2-3 times at work and breastfeed at home when I am with her. I am lucky to get 3 1/2 ounces total each time I pump - it is usually closer to 2 1/2. This is not enough to feed her. I am taking 4 Fenugreek capsules in the morning and 4 at night. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. I have tried the Mother's Milk tea but just cannot stand the taste. I am at a loss of what else to do. It is a constant battle that is causing me to feel depressed and inadequate for my own child. Please help.
    Hi mama.

What kind of pump are you using? Have you replaced the valves or the membranes lately? And you are pumping around 3oz every time? That is actually pretty good supply mama. I know we want it to be more, but you are doing ok.

And how long are you away from your LO? The general rule of thumb is 1 -1.5oz per hour you are gone.

You could add a few more things to your arsenal. I have taken fenugreek, alfalfa, fennel (helps with letdown), and I would eat oatmeal every day, sometimes 2ce a day. Also making sure to drink lots of water, and TRY not to stress...cause stress zaps supply in a jiffy.

Another thing I would do is take his jammies to work with me, so I could smell him when I pumped, and I would look at pix of him as well. DH would call me and record his noises on my v/m so I could listen to those too.

Good luck mama...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I am using a Playtex pump. I do not think it is the best but it is all that I can afford. I am away from my daughter from about 8:30am - 5:30pm. I hear that I am making an average amount but when she typically eats three four ounce bottles while I am at work the seven to nine ounces I make is just not enough. I hate to start supplementing with formula but if I cannot make enough then I am just not sure what other option I have. I am going to try the jammies idea. I already have a picture of her and her sitter will send me pictures and video of her throughout the day. I also can talk to her on the phone sometimes - well... I guess I talk and she listens . I appreciate all of this support. It is so hard not to get stressed out but I know that it will make it worse also.

Do you get more than one letdown per pumping session? That can add an oz or so to your output. Or you can add pumping sessions in the evenings or weekends to help boost your bottle supply.

I do occasionally supplement with formula for my ds, but I will usually try to squeeze in an extra pumping session after work if I don't think I pumped enough during the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

No, I only get one letdown per pumping session. I try to wake up in the middle of the night to pump once but so does my daughter. It is difficult to know when she will wake up as it varies every night. I would just hate for her to wake up hungry and to not have enough to fill her because I just pumped. It is also hard to pump after work because I go home and nurse her and then nurse her again before bedtime. I figure that in a 24-hour period (Monday thru Friday) I nurse her about 4 times and pump 3 times. If I could create more letdown times then I think I could increase my supply.