Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help keep me going

Default Re: Help keep me going

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    s it's the stress and being tired affecting your supply mama!!! I don't know about the aching....

can you stay in bed with lo this weekend and Nurse, a nursing vacation is what we like to call it.... and try try try to learn how to nurse lying down, your whole world will change i swear it! i'll try and find a link with pics that helped me....
    That would be wonderful if I could learn how to nurse lying down. Maybe this weekend I'll ask my husband to help us practice and I think I will take you up on your suggestion and try to stay in bed and rest.

I have a dumb question though, will my LO get bored laying around all day with me? I'm a first time mom, he is only 13 weeks but I feel like I should make sure I provide lots of activity for him. I never really know for sure how so I tired setting up "play stations" throughout the house and I just take him from station to station all day and try to play with him. But between that and work, it is exhausting that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    Also as I was reading your post I thought of this too -- are you sure you have the flu? Mastitis also can feel like the flu too. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    I thought the same thing.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

at 13 wks he should be fine in bed, he's probably ready to recoup some too from the week. look at the links I posted to see if they help. the biggest tip i can give is to not try to get yourself too comfy to begin with, first just work on making it happen, after that work on making you comfy... pillows are good too...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Call your doctor asap if anything here sounds familiar
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

What helped me keep going when I was working and nursing my ds1 was setting small goals. i.e I went back to work at 6 weeks so my initial goal was to try to make it to 2 months, then 3 months, etc... I was also motivated by being able to give my lo something no one else could even if I was away from him for part of the day.
    Have you attended any LLL meetings? They also helped keep me going, especially if I was feeling really worn out, I would make myself wait on quitting bf until I had a chance to be around the LLLadies in my group.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I also find that one way to keep myself motivated is to remember the big picture. I work 12 hours a day, six days a week. I pump two-three times a day, depending on how crazy my day is. In the evening, I cram in time with my son and time with DH before collapsing into bed. DS eats between 2 & 4 times a night. I often get up at 4AM to do work from home. The only way to keep it up? Remind myself why I do it. The feeling of nursing him in the morning, the way he looks up at me and grins when I get home, the sweet smell of a breast fed baby. Sometimes I actually write down the list because i need a reminder. That's what keeps me on this particular treadmill. Hope this helps!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

what ellen said is key!!! and so was what mom2a said....

Right your goal down along with our top 3 reason for bfing and keep it with a pic of baby in your pump bag...pull it out whenever you get discourage...

Side nursing is simple and once you get it you will love it...this is how I get my breaks during the day... I lay with little nurse and relax... My rule is never multi task while bfing...that time is just for baby in me... I am not sure if others have psoted links but here are a few to help
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/...sitioning.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bre...L00096&slide=4
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Ilane View Post
    I have a dumb question though, will my LO get bored laying around all day with me? I'm a first time mom, he is only 13 weeks but I feel like I should make sure I provide lots of activity for him. I never really know for sure how so I tired setting up "play stations" throughout the house and I just take him from station to station all day and try to play with him. But between that and work, it is exhausting that's for sure.
    At 13 weeks, LO gets plenty just from getting the attention that I can tell you are giving him. Play stations and structured activities are not needed. A couple of colorful, textured babysafe toys and mom or dad are all that is needed. You talk to him. He is just laying around but he is learning at a tremendous speed.

It is exhausting working and being a new mom. Augh. The thoughts of recalling those days exhaust me! I say that so you know it does get better. My hints:
    -routine - like the other moms said. Prep the night before.
    -lower your expectations around the house cleaning and cooking (but eat healthy).
    -have baby nearby if you don't cosleep. My feet did not have to touch the floor to get baby next to me to nurse at night.
    -Once I accepted at a deeper level that parenting was not simply adding a baby to my old life but a totally new way to live then I was able to let go of the "other stuff" (cleaning, cooking, work priorities)
    -sleep as much as you can on the weekends.

You will make it. Breath. Enjoy.

I agree that you don't necessarily need play stations. It's a great idea and I applaud your effort to keep baby entertained. They do need some stimulation sometimes, but it's actually really good for them to have plenty of down time where they can just kick back and take in the world at their own pace. Believe me, I know when you work all day you can have this feeling that every moment spent with your baby has to be jam packed with significance, but he gets just as much out of just laying on your chest listening to you hum or gazing at your face as he gets out of structured activities. It's also possible to overstimulate him- I'm not saying you are doing that, just something to watch out for.

Relax. Have fun with him and enjoy him. They don't stay little for very long so try to enjoy your time with him. The other posters gave you some great links about side lying, so I don't have much to add about that other than to second the idea of pillows. I always put one behind my back so I can lean away from baby while he nurses.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous