Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I HATE Pumping

Angry I HATE Pumping

how do you ladies stay motivated? i have 9 mo dd, and i pump at work and 1 or 2x at home, but all i have is an advent hand pump, i love it, but i am so tired of pumping

i'm tired of washing it, pumping at night, sitting in the storage office at work while everyone asks me, "why are you still doing that?" ARGH

i want to get a double electric, but i'm not sure if it's worth the price since she's already 9 months.

sorry for the vent, but i could go on an on
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

Default Re: I HATE Pumping

I'm sorry. I'm sure it doesn't help that you are stuck in a storage office to pump. I don't know if it would be worth getting a new pump if you are planning to stop pumping at 1 year (are you?). If you are going to keep pumping it might be worth the investment. I pumed with a hand pump after I had Nora and actually didn't mind it, but I can close the door of my office and check the forum while I pump so it wasn't too bad. I also started getting the comments from coworkers, try not to let them bother you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm sure it doesn't help that you are stuck in a storage office to pump. I don't know if it would be worth getting a new pump if you are planning to stop pumping at 1 year (are you?). If you are going to keep pumping it might be worth the investment. I pumed with a hand pump after I had Nora and actually didn't mind it, but I can close the door of my office and check the forum while I pump so it wasn't too bad.
    This is me to a tee. Pumping is boring! Is there anything you can do while pumping to distract yourself? Like bring a book or magazine something (if you have enough light)?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sorry you're having a bad pumping day It's okay to feel that way. Pumping is so hard and it takes so much time. Some times the only thing that kept me going was knowing I was giving LO the best. I did it for her. What you're doing is very selfless. You're doing a great job. Hang in there and try to make it to one year. When people don't understand bfing relationship they don't understand why you sacrifice so much for your baby, it's hard answering "why are you still doing that" when you're just trying to make it yourself. Just think, if you're goal is to make it to one year you can have a "Hanging up the Horns" party for yourself.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Stay motivated? I just did it. By 9 months I was only pumping 2x a day - only at work. It wasn't motivation. I was just what I did - like brushing my teeth.

If anyone asked me "why I was still doing that"? they would have gotten a "spirited" lecture. While I want to be a good soul and not judge others poorly placed comments... augh.

Bigger pump? Do you have a sense as to how much pumping you will be doing in 3-4 months? I was down to once a day but.... And then, if you think that you might have another baby...

DS nursed till he was 2 1/2.
    He can now ski faster than me.
    He can almost run faster than me.
    He is playing music loud, "turn that down!"
    He is reading Lord of the Rings.
    He is wonderful !

could you add an extra feed when you are together?
    Then maybe you wouldn't need to pump at work?

Does she sleep all night?

IMO, I would go for the pump, if it's not a huge monetary issue...
    I would not be able to do my pumping w/o my PIS or a comparable pump.
    I work FT and pump 3x/per day and also lock myself in whatever office space, bathroom, closet I find available...But I love the fact that I am doing the best for my baby....And this time goes so quick....I soon will be saying how much I miss this age - hardships and all!!!

Stick in there Momma - you've done such a wonderful job so far!!!

ps - that pic is THE CUTEST!!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I recently dropped a pump, so I dont have to pump at work and only pump morning at night. For me, that makes a huge difference. I watch TV while pumping, so it really is downtime for me. The trade off is that I don't have as much stock in the freezer, but things have been ok so far.

I HATE PUMPING TOO!!! But - I love being able to keep my bf bond with DS, and that makes it worth it. That being said, I don't think I could do it if I didn't have my Freestyle, which allows me to pump handsfree (and therefore relax while I'm pumping). If you're planning on having another baby, and money isn't tight, I would definitely invest in an electric pump - it's an investment in your sanity. Here's the other thing I have started doing to keep myself motivated, besides having a pic of DS in the bag, that is. I get trashy books from the library. Yep, the kind I am embarrassed to be caught reading. And I only get to read them while I'm pumping. Sometimes I even look forward to pumping now...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I HATE PUMPING TOO!!! But - I love being able to keep my bf bond with DS, and that makes it worth it. That being said, I don't think I could do it if I didn't have my Freestyle, which allows me to pump handsfree (and therefore relax while I'm pumping). If you're planning on having another baby, and money isn't tight, I would definitely invest in an electric pump - it's an investment in your sanity. Here's the other thing I have started doing to keep myself motivated, besides having a pic of DS in the bag, that is. I get trashy books from the library. Yep, the kind I am embarrassed to be caught reading. And I only get to read them while I'm pumping. Sometimes I even look forward to pumping now...
    On that note, I download TV shows onto my Ipod, and watch them as I pump. Total guilty pleasure, but it takes me away from work, allows me to keep my patience (I always feel pressured to get back to work, and getting lost in TV takes my mind off it). Also, I catch up on shows I never get to watch now. It turns pumping time into "me" time, atleast a little bit, and that makes it a little pleasurable. But really what keeps me going? Having my 4 month old grin up at me when I get home from work, and then make sucking motions with his mouth. Hang in there, nobody pumps for the pure pleasure of it...
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start