Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching issue

Default Latching issue

Owen is breastfeeding except for a bottle twice a day with an ounce of milk with his vitamins mixed in it. I am so happy he nurses because I was worried he would get stuck on the bottles from all the time in the NICU and not want to nurse. But he loves it! The issue we're having is his latch isn't great. He makes a clicking sound almost all of every nursing (he does this with bottles also). It's like he's half nursing, half drinking from a bottle - he's latched on, but it's shallow. It doesn't cause me any pain and he gains weight just fine, so the lactation consultant at my nursing group this past Monday said she noticed the sound, it is a latch issue, but since he's gaining weight fine and it's not hurting me, not to worry about it and that he'd probably fix it over time himself. I'm fine with that except that I think he's taking in more air during feedings because of this. I burp him a lot during each feeding and he is definitely uncomfortable due to gas. Any ideas on how I can correct his latch?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Latching issue

I am not sure this applies, but clicking can be a symptom of OALD. In cases of OALD, I think the clicking happens because the baby is breaking suction in order to slow the flow of milk. If this seems like it might be Owen's problem, perhaps a change in position would help- leaning back, or nursing in the "down-under" position are supposed to be helpful because gravity slows the flow enough for the baby to handle it.

It's so cool that Owen is nursing so well!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks - that link had some great info. I guess I'm not sure if I have OALD...I always have PLENTY of milk and feel my letdowns (they're uncomfortable, like pins and needles) and when he pulls off at the beginning of a feeding, milk is often dripping out. But I'm not sure if it's coming too fast for him every time or not. There are times when I put him back on the same breast after he finishes on that side an hour before, so I'm not real full, but he still makes the clicking and loses his latch. I'll have to pay more attention to how the milk is coming when he makes the sound.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I was going to say the same thing. I have this in one breast so I usually nurse leaning back and lying down...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Yes, me too... lay in the bed and have Owen nursing and a upper possition like the flow wont be as heavy...