Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk Supply Issues Here too!

Default Milk Supply Issues Here too!

I think i posted this in the wrong section as i didn't get any feedback so i'm hoping this section will help me...

hi mommas,
    it's been awhile since i posted. I posted when my son was first born (8 months ago) we had terrible issues with breastfeeding for nearly 5 months straight. finally we are all better and breastfeeding doesnt hurt. but now my problem is this. over the past few weeks i've had to give my son formula after he's nursed and at night we switched him to formula as well due to the lack of sleep i'm getting from his constant night nursings... constant. i know a lot of you moms out there will probably secretly question why i formula feed at night and nurse during the day, but i have to try something to get him to sleep better. now during the day lately, he's been nursing less and less, i try to nurse him every 3 hours but he'll suck for a few minutes, pop off, suck, pop off, scrunch his face deep into my breast, repeat, scrunch again...done. so i get a bottle and a lot of the time he'll chug that down. sometimes not, like today... he's refusing everything. breast, bottle, nap, i'm going crazy tired. so i'm wondering how do i tell if he's weaning or if he's actually getting enough? i've not pumped as the last time i did that i got 1-2 ounces and most say it's not a good indicator anyway. i'm just confused as to what to do. i was hoping to nurse until he is 12 months with the addition of formula as well, but i'm afraid i might have to stop nursing due to supply? how does one tell if he's satisfied with the breast? i drank 2 cups of mother's milk tea last night (it was late so i didn't get in much), does this really help? he's constantly been teething, i just don't know what to make of all of it.
    Carrie
    Mom to Heatley born 08-22-08
    9.2#'s - 22 1/2" long

Default Re: Milk Supply Issues Here too!

if you are concerned with how much he is drinking diaper output would be the best judge, count wet and poopy diapers for a 24 hour period....

FYI most 8 month olds (formula or breastfed) don't sleep through the night IME...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

i know he wont sleep through the night for a long time yet. i just want to make sure he's getting enough rest to grow like he should. the extra sleep is a bonus and healthier for both of us. but my real concern is how much he's getting during the day. he puts out a lot of wet diapers so that means i'm producing enough? why does he pop off then back on, face dig into my breast, knead my breast and then drink a bottle on top of nursing? am i not nursing long enough? am i not trying hard enough? i hate to force him (for lack of better word) to stay at the breast when he doesn't want to... but 9 out of 10 times he'll take the bottle and drink a couple to 4 ounces more.
    Carrie
    Mom to Heatley born 08-22-08
    9.2#'s - 22 1/2" long

could it be a growth spurt or that her prefers the bottle which will readily flow with no suck needed to the breast? this is major problem for moms who bottle and breastfeed
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

here is a link to some info on diaper output http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

In the early stages of Bfing for me I had to suplement and found that my DD would do the same thing while on the breast but then guzzle the bottle. My lactation consultant told me that my DD was too smart and too lazy. She knew if she just held out long enough with out drinking from the breast that she would be given an bottle.
    I stopped giving her bottles that day and she has done well since.
    Maybe your LO caught on to it as well. If your LO had enough wet diapers then he/she is getting enough milk from you. I would try to cut out the bottles for a few days and count the diapers and see how it goes from there.

Good luck
    Darling Daughter Tessa born Sept 8th 2008 at 39 wks weighing 4lbs 13oz

Hi, this sounds familiar to me too. I've been breastfeeding since Day One and my daughter is 11 weeks now. I'm concerned about the way she feeds - sometimes she latches on and suck for 5 mins (sometimes lesser than that). Other times (especially afternoon feeds) she sucks 2 -3 times, looks away, goes back to sucking, looks away again and she does this for a good 5 - 10 mins then she starts crying and gives up sucking all together for that session.

She's giving out 4-5 wet diapers daily so I think she's doing fine, but I can't help but to worry if she's taking in the healthy amount. When I do express milk, I could only give out 1-2 oz, sometimes lesser than 40 ml. When she was 2months old, I could express 4-6oz but not any more.

Help! I'm taking Fenugreek and loads of water daily but that doesn't seem to make much difference. I'll be going back to work in a week's time and I've been mixing formula with breastmilk for her 5am feed for the past 9 days. Sometimes she takes in it, other times she'll turn away and refuse the mixed bottle. I really want to continue feeding her my milk but seeing the amount I'm giving out through the pump really worries me.

Pumping is NOT an acurate way to measure how much milk you are making. IN the begining i was able to pump like 6 oz then i didn;t pump for a few months and was only able to get 1-2 oz a session. Now I pump every night at midnight. For the first few nights i didn't get more than 2 oz but now since i have been diong it regularly i can get 5-6 oz. So if your breasts are not luse to the pumping they will not give you as much as when they are use to pumping.

If your really concerned have her weighed and then do it again and see if shes gaining anything. If shes not you can try dompreidone.....it worked wonders for me. I tried the nursing tea, pumping every feeding for 20 minutes, eating oatmeal, drinking tons of water and feeding every 2 hours to try to increase my milk.....but none of that worked for me. The Domperidone was a god send

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.
    Darling Daughter Tessa born Sept 8th 2008 at 39 wks weighing 4lbs 13oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babymaya View Post
    Hi, this sounds familiar to me too. I've been breastfeeding since Day One and my daughter is 11 weeks now. I'm concerned about the way she feeds - sometimes she latches on and suck for 5 mins (sometimes lesser than that). Other times (especially afternoon feeds) she sucks 2 -3 times, looks away, goes back to sucking, looks away again and she does this for a good 5 - 10 mins then she starts crying and gives up sucking all together for that session.

She's giving out 4-5 wet diapers daily so I think she's doing fine, but I can't help but to worry if she's taking in the healthy amount. When I do express milk, I could only give out 1-2 oz, sometimes lesser than 40 ml. When she was 2months old, I could express 4-6oz but not any more.

Help! I'm taking Fenugreek and loads of water daily but that doesn't seem to
    make much difference. I'll be going back to work in a week's time and I've been mixing formula with breastmilk for her 5am feed for the past 9 days. Sometimes she takes in it, other times she'll turn away and refuse the mixed bottle. I really want to continue feeding her my milk but seeing the amount I'm giving out through the pump really worries me.
    If you have to supplement with formula Mama, be sure to offer the BM first , then formula, so none of the BM is wasted.

Also, you need to keep in mind that every time the baby gets a supplement, your body needs to receive the signal to make more milk becase baby isn't nursing. So if you supplement, be sure to pump as well!

Also, you can try power pumping to increase your supply. Pump for ten minutes, rest for ten, pump for ten, rest for ten for a total of three times (an hour). This simulates a growth spurt and should signal your body to step up production.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thank you both for the tips. I went to my daughter's doc today and she prescribed Motilium (yup domperidone) and suggested I take one a day and stop the Fenugreek for now. I've tried the power pumping method - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Tried massaging, gulping water while pumping and throughout the day...I've even asked my hubby to stop staring at the pumping while I'm on it!

I guess I have to step up on the pumping. And okay, so mixing both milk into one bottle is a no-no.

I sure hope the pill works. I hesitate on giving her formula but I'm also worried that I may not make enough bottles of BM for her at daycare.

You can take both fenugreek and domperidone. Although the dose you are on seems very low.

Right now you are in the formula trap. Babies are smart and learn they don't need to work for food if there is a bottle there. Every time you give him a bottle, you are telling your body to make less milk, which further frustrates him and makes him think the bottle is a more reliable source of food. This is a very common way babies prematurely wean.

Breast milk is far more important to him than sleeping through the night. Bilogically babies are designed to be close to mama because mama's milk is so highly digestible. To get your supply up I would first drop the night time bottles. That stimulation at the breast at night will do wonders to boost your supply.

During the day nurse, then offer supplement if needed, and pump every time you supplement.

www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html