Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At a loss of what to do???

Exclamation At a loss of what to do???

Hello Ladies, I'm just about at the end of my rope with my DS. I'm having to wean him against my will and his since I'm pregnant and am barely producing anything right now. We are having the biggest difficulty (this has been going on for 2-3months now!!) transitioning him to a bottle or sippy cup. He doesn't seem interested in drinking from a sippy cup at all and I think I've bought every kind. He will take a bottle but will only drink 1-3oz. of milk at a time. His daily intake of milk varies from 15oz-26oz. Usually he is drinking 20oz. of milk a day and I was fine with that. Lately he is refusing the bottle altogether and it is such a struggle to get him to drink more than 1 oz. at a time now. I'm not sure what is going on with him but I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get more liquid in him. Any thoughts would be helpful!! Thanks!!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Default Re: At a loss of what to do???

what kind of bottles are you using? DS wouldnt take anything then we tried the gerber NUK orthodontic and he takes them so well.

oh and DS doesnt really take a sippy well either, he is somewhat better with the Nuby cups though, with the soft spout

i know your struggles mama
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Thanks Kelly, I know you are there with me! We use the Born Free ones with nipple size #2 and he has liked these in the past, maybe he is tired of them and we need to use a new brand? We have always struggled with him and bottles-it has just been a lot worse lately. We have some advent bottles but I didn't want to use the since I'm not sure if they are BPA free.

Also with & due 11/23/11

Have you tried straw cups? DD never liked sippy's but did really well with straw cups at that age. We have both Nuby flip-n-sip and Take N Toss brand.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Yeah, unfortunately we have tried the straw kind of sippy cups and he wants to blow in the cup instead of sucking the liquid out. He is such a stubborn boy!! I have also tried a regular cup but he won't even take a sip from it, he just likes to put his hand in it and splash. I've got a strong willed little boy!! Yesterday he only drank a total of 13.5 oz. of liquid. I've called his pedi and am supposed to hear something back today.

Thanks for all the help ladies!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Well my pedi didn't seem too worried about the situation. Maybe I was freaking out for no reason at all. He said as long as he is having 3 very wet diapers a day then he is fine but if he is showing any signs of dehydration to bring him in or if he seems to be sick, etc. He has already had 2 super wet diapers so far today! It seems like he is taking BM fine from the bottle since he just slammed a 4 oz. bottle of breastmilk. It is so hard for me to see the weaning process going so badly since I have no control over my milk production! Agh!

Also with & due 11/23/11