Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I jump to conclusions about lipase?

Default Did I jump to conclusions about lipase?

My mom recently babysat for me, heated a bottle of expressed BM, and told me that it smelled like dish soap. Since I had been told this before and since my DD has a history of bottle refusal, I assumed it was a lipase issue, and I began working toward a good scalding routine. Well, we've been working on transitioning DD to a sippy cup, and I decided on a whim to place a small amount of BM in the cup instead of a sip of water. This milk was fresh from the day and COLD. She drank it like a champ, so I decided to save the rest of the milk that I hadn't poured into the cup in the fridge. I figured it would be a good test of how long my milk can go before beginning to smell. Well, three days later, it still smelled fine, and my DD was still interested. HOWEVER, as soon as I heated it, it smelled awful! But, it didn't smell like dish soap to me. Instead, it smelled like formula baby spit-up (sorry, that's the only parallel I can draw). So, what's going on here? Is this normal? Do all moms with excess lipase have milk that smells fine until heated? Could the lipase issue come and go? I'm not sure whether to even continue this scalding process, or just begin to thaw frozen milk and offer it to DD cold. Of course, maybe THAT will smell bad...haven't tested that theory yet. Any ideas here?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Did I jump to conclusions about lipase?

I don't know much about lipase, as I do not have that problem. I did find this resource for you though. Hopefully maybe you can find something here to help you.

If your lo is drinking the cold bm and doesn't seem to be bothered by it, why not just let her do so?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Smell doesn't always equate to taste. For example, my unscalded older milk smelled great - tasted awful. So - I don't know that this one case alone means you jumped to conclusions. If you want to try it again, do the same thing but taste it (before and after heating).

It is possible that the stuff in the fridge was just on the verge of tasting yucky and the heating made the enzyme finish what it started and then it all turned to yuck.

How's the scalding and her taking the milk going otherwise?

Well, I've got the scalding routine down to a good rhythm, but I haven't offered her any yet. I was going to wait until next week to see if it can make it three weeks, and then if all goes well, I was going to toss my old stash. I feel guilty, but I've been giving her the old stash still until I know for sure that scalding is going to make her happy AND ensure that my milk lasts long enough (I still produce too much milk so I end up with a large stash fairly quickly, which means that DD typically ends up drinking thawed milk that is at least three weeks old). I have been offering her cold milk in a cup every evening when I get home, and she hasn't been rejecting it; however, when she is ready for a feeding, she wants me, not the cup. You're right that the heating may be just doing it in, so I'm not going to give up yet. I'll keep at it and post back in a week!

Pumped for 30 months

It's been 4 weeks since I began scalding, so I thought I'd post an update. I had planned to do this last week but DD was sick!

I am now scalding my milk and placing it in a deep freezer. Not only does it smell and taste better after 4 weeks, but I've also noticed that it doesn't "stick" to the side of the bag it was resting on either (ick). DD still doesn't seem to be a huge fan of the bottle, but DC has reported *less* trouble getting her to take a bottle. So, I'm considering this a success, and I will continue scalding. Thank you LLL!!

We've also been transitioning her to a sippy cup and this seems to be hit or miss. It apparently has nothing to do with lipase, so I'm going to post this portion over in "solids."

Pumped for 30 months

Yeah!! So happy it's working out for you. Great job!