Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing at daycare

Default Nursing at daycare

I've decided that since my 6 month old boy will not take much from a bottle (about 2 oz in an 8 hour day) that it's best for me to go on my lunch and nurse him. How many other mothers do this? He is eating soilds really well, but I worry he isn't getting enough bm. How much bm should a 6 month old be taking in?

Default Re: Nursing at daycare

Here's a really great article to help you figure out how much your baby should be drinking at daycare.

From your other post I noticed he's only been in daycare for a week (is that right?). That's a pretty big transistion and he might start taking a bottle easier once he is more comfortable with his care providers and more used to being away from you. Another thing I noticed is that he eats cereal 3x per day. That's quite a bit- did you increase the amount of cereal you gave him when he started day care? If so, he might be refusing the bottle because he's full. If that's the case you might be able to get them to offer the bottle first and the cereal after so you can be sure he's filling up on milk (the cereal really doesn't have much nutrition).

But with all that said, if you have the option of going to the day care to feed him that is really nice. It will save you a pumping session, at the very least, and give you a chance to reconnect with him during the day. If you do that, make sure they hold off on the cereal until after you nurse him so you can be sure he's going to nurse while you're there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Here's a really great article to help you figure out how much your baby should be drinking at daycare.

From your other post I noticed he's only been in daycare for a week (is that right?). That's a pretty big transistion and he might start taking a bottle easier once he is more comfortable with his care providers and more used to being away from you. Another thing I noticed is that he eats cereal 3x per day. That's quite a bit- did you increase the amount of cereal you gave him when he started day care? If so, he might be refusing the bottle because he's full. If that's the case you might be able to get them to offer the bottle first and the cereal after so you can be sure he's filling up on milk (the cereal really doesn't have much nutrition).

But with all that said, if you have the option of going to the day care to feed him that is really nice. It will save you a pumping session, at the very least, and give you a chance to reconnect with him during the day. If you do that, make sure they hold off on the cereal until after you nurse him so you can be sure he's going to nurse while you're there.
    Yep he has been in daycare for 1 week and 2 days now. Yes I allowed daycare to increase his cereal as I was hoping it would keep him full. I know that sounds horrible doesn't it.., but with him refusing the bottle for them I thought that was the only other way to get something in him. They do mix it with bm, but I know that's not enough. I wasn't thinking clearly when I told them they could feed him the cereal as much as they want if he is hungry I was just thinking about getting him threw the day since they have 4 other infants in that room. I'm going to talk with them today though and have them cut it back. Thanks so much for giving me advice.

I nursed my ds1 during my lunch breaks when he was at daycare.
    It was not because he wouldn't take a bottle.
    It was more because I would rather nurse than pump and it was a way for me to not miss him so bad.

They put an extra rocking chair in the room so I could have a comfy place to sit and I kept a blanket handy to throw over us if I felt the need for more privacy.

I've also been told it is a good way to keep your lo from getting sick from all the germs in daycare. By spending a little time at the daycare center, you will pick up whatever is going around, build up the immunities and pass it on to your lo. This is of course just what I've been told, but it makes sense to me.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.