Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need some help....

Default I need some help....

My 6 month old baby boy was going to work with me since he was 2 weeks old so there was no need to pump or introduce a bottle so I thought. My boss informed me that my son needed to be put in daycare. I was so upset, but understood as it was getting more busy. So last week he started. He isn't doing so well. I have purchased several brands of bottles and we finally found 1 he some what will allow in his mouth. His intake isn't good though. Yesterday he only took in an oz or 2 and that was just from the teacher squirting it in his mouth. He does eat baby ceral in the mornings and in one for lunch and then as an afternoon snack, but I'm worried cause he isn't getting much bm... What can I do. Should I go up and nurse him on my lunch?

UPDATE:

So I went up and nursed my baby yesterday at 1:30 and it was great... I really enjoyed seeing him and he was very happy to see mommy. He nursed for about 15 min. switching from one side to the other and then back once again. Needless to say he was a hungry little fellow as daycare had tried all morning long and only got about an oz. down him. I'm happy to say I will be going up from now on at noon to nurse him and in the mean time daycare will continue to try with the bottle/sippy cups. When I picked him up yesterday after work the afternoon teacher told me he was so happy and content the rest of the day that he didn't fuss or cry once due to hunger.....:0) I know my little guy needs more then just an oz of bm and a one time nurse session with me threw the 8 hours, but hopefully with tiime he will learn to take the bottle/sippy cups...
    Last edited by @llli*ajscarver; April 22nd, 2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Update

Default Re: I need some help....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ajscarver View Post
    My 6 month old baby boy was going to work with me since he was 2 weeks old so there was no need to pump or introduce a bottle so I thought. My boss informed me that my son needed to be put in daycare. I was so upset, but understood as it was getting more busy. So last week he started. He isn't doing so well. I have purchased several brands of bottles and we finally found 1 he some what will allow in his mouth. His intake isn't good though. Yesterday he only took in an oz or 2 and that was just from the teacher squirting it in his mouth. He does eat baby ceral in the mornings and in one for lunch and then as an afternoon snack, but I'm worried cause he isn't getting much bm... What can I do. Should I go up and nurse him on my lunch?
    It is very common for babies not to take much breast milk when they are away from mother. Is your ds nursing more when he is around you? Lots of times they will take less from the bottle and make up for it later by nursing more frequently. As long as wet and poopies and weight gain continue to be on track, than everything is probably fine.

If it gives you a piece of mind and is convenient for you, I don't see why you shouldn't go nurse him during your lunch hour.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    It is very common for babies not to take much breast milk when they are away from mother. Is your ds nursing more when he is around you? Lots of times they will take less from the bottle and make up for it later by nursing more frequently. As long as wet and poopies and weight gain continue to be on track, than everything is probably fine.

If it gives you a piece of mind and is convenient for you, I don't see why you shouldn't go nurse him during your lunch hour.

As far as him nursing more when he is around, nope not really. That is why it worries me more. I spoke with his doc. today and she said he should at least be taking in 12-16 oz. of breast milk for an 8 hour period and that we need to cut back on the baby cereal and keep pushing the bottle when I'm not around and that if he continues this then she recommened me having them feed with a cup which he does ok with. I think daycare feeds him so much (which I have allowed) just to keep him content and not so hungry. They have told me that like yesterday there was 2 times during the day he was so hungry and there wasn't anything they could do for him and the teacher just held and rocked him while he cried.... So I do think it's best if I do go up on my lunch and nurse. Heck I'm only 5 min. away....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ajscarver View Post
    As far as him nursing more when he is around, nope not really. That is why it worries me more. I spoke with his doc. today and she said he should at least be taking in 12-16 oz. of breast milk for an 8 hour period and that we need to cut back on the baby cereal and keep pushing the bottle when I'm not around and that if he continues this then she recommened me having them feed with a cup which he does ok with. I think daycare feeds him so much (which I have allowed) just to keep him content and not so hungry. They have told me that like yesterday there was 2 times during the day he was so hungry and there wasn't anything they could do for him and the teacher just held and rocked him while he cried.... So I do think it's best if I do go up on my lunch and nurse. Heck I'm only 5 min. away....
    That may help your son get more if you go nurse him on your lunch. If you're only 5 minutes away, I say go for it.

You mentioned that you think that maybe they are feeding him more than he needs just to keep him content. Here is a great resource for determining how much expressed milk your lo needs.

Give it time. Your little guy may just be having a hard time transitioning too!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

5 minutes away go for it mama.... and like PP said give them time to transitions... it most be difficult to have you all day and not have you any more for like 8 hours... It will get better you will see..