Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ameda Purely Yours - opinions

Default Ameda Purely Yours - opinions

I'm looking at getting a new breast pump. I've been given an old PIS from a friend but it doesn't seem to be working quite as well as it did initially. At any rate I've been doing research and found the Ameda Purely Yours, it looks good in print, but is it really as good as it seems? I've heard some good things about it, but wanted to see if I could get some more information from anyone who might have used it.
    Thanks in advance
    Suzanne
    Lewis Elijah - 11/18/05

Default Re: Ameda Purely Yours - opinions

I used one and I liked it (could've done without the little "beep beep beep" noise it makes but I got used to it, lol). Worked very well for me and I found it comparable to a hospital-grade double electric.

You might try searching Epinions.com for consumer reviews too.

Good luck in your search for knowledge!

Hello! I have been using the Ameda Purely Yours breastpump for about four months now to express milk when I'm at work. (My daughter is 6mo.old).Unfortunately, I have to say I am already on my second pump - the first one I bought broke (the motor stopped producing suction) after one week of use, and the second one which the company sent right away, was working fine for about two months but now seems as if the suction is not as strong and I can't get a let-down at times. This is very frustrating when it's already hard enough to try to keep up my milk supply while working, and then to top it off the pump isn't expressing my milk efficiently. Don't get me wrong, it worked great at first and I was getting 4oz from the left and 3 from the right, now I can only get about half those amounts out of each side. Maybe you will have better luck, but I am going to see if I can get yet another pump from the company or I may just look into renting a hospital grade pump. Hope this info. helps you.

I have a Purely Yours and I'm on my second baby with it. With my son I went back to work at 3 months old and pumped until he was 8 months old when I became a SAHM. I have nothing but good to say about it, aside from its a little noisy. I pumped 5x's a day with it those 5 months I worked and had no problems. I am now using it occasionally to get a stock in the freezer should Dh and I ever want to go out alone. I highly reccomend it. You can buy relacement parts for it on Ebay pretty cheap. You know, the valves and diaphrams, collection bottles etc. all brand new.

I use this daily at work 4 times a day. I like it. I like how it can run on batteries, car adaptor, or ac adaptor. And the cooler pack is nice...it stays cold all day so I can store my milk in there rather than the office fridge. Mine still runs great even after 3 months. The only thing I didn't like about it at first was it was hard to get apart to clean. But I don't have that problem now...it was just because it was new. And I like the carry bag. You can carry it or use it as a backpack. Mine even came with one manual pump attachment. I am pleased with it.

Have it and love it. DS is almost 9 months and I have been pumping since he was 3 weeks. I have used an Medela pump and thought it was terribly uncomfortable.

jln- if you are starting to lose suction, have you changed the white valves? I noticed that after a few months they wear thin and need to be changed- then the pump is great again. Replacement parts are cheap, too.

I've been using my PY for a little over four months. Before that I used a Medela Symphony to help my milk come in in the very early days (my body seems to have freaked out after the cesarian), and it was okay, but it always weirded me out that there was no barrier between my milk and whatever was in the air pumped by the Symphony. The PY has always worked great for me. I've used the car adapter too. It's a bit weird pumping in the car, but at least the pump works fine that way. When I bought mine I was cautioned to be really careful with the white valve things, since those are the easiest part to inadvertently damage and they are essential to maintaining suction, so I take care not to pull the ends of the valves when I remove them. I use my pump about eight times a week or so (I work part-time) and it's held up famously. It is a little hard to take apart at first (the white discs that snap on to the top of the breast flange, especially) but it's fine after a few weeks of regular use. I like the backpack it comes in, too. It's much easier to handle along with my purse and tote bag for work. I look like a bag lady, but at least I'm not in danger of dropping the pump.

I love my PY. I work full time and pump three times a day for my baby girl. I have been using the pump for about 5 months now and it is still going strong. I am able to pump 8-10 onces per session. I love that it is so portable and very easy to clean. Others have complained the pump is noisy, but that never has been a concern to me.

The price of the PY can't be beat. I bought mine for $150 on-line and free S&H. Do some searches for the best prices. I bought extra parts and bottles(including an extra adaptor for work) at the time I ordered the pump so I could take advantage of the free S&H.

Good luck!