Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump is dying

Unhappy pump is dying

my breast pump is dying on me! dd is 13 months and i would like to continue to pump at least half of her milk for daycare (i worry she isn't thrilled with cow's milk, but that's a whole post in itself!).

my pump is a Ameda-Purely Yours. i've pumped 3 x's a day for about a year now. has anyone had a similar experience? what should i do? it seems to be too late in the game to spend $ for another pump! and i worry if i stop pumping, my supply will drop off even further!

Default Re: pump is dying

Were you thinking of having more kids? If that is the case buying a new pump may not be a waste. Have you checked the warrenty on your pump?

You might also try calling the 800 number for customer support at Ameda. They may have some suggestions in case there are some 'easy' things to troubleshoot, etc. It's worth a try, anyway!
    -linda

I'm not sure how long you've had it, but they do come with a year warranty. Perhaps it's been less than a year?

I think most of the pumps have at least a 1 year warranty--I would def. check that. How did you know it was dying???

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Call Ameda, they may be able to either repair or replace it. I have also seen a Lansolin pump that looks exactly like the ameda (except purple) at Walmart for about $100, maybe you could go that rout if you don't want to spend a bunch.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I'm assuming it is dying because I am unable to pump as much as I had before. I don't believe it is my milk supply because my breasts feel as full as ever. Plus-it is making funny squeeky sounds and sounds like it is struggling to operate.

The warrenty on the pump is for one year, which I believe has just expired. Also, I'm not sure if the warrenty covers normal wear and tear. I think I will give Ameda a call-it couldn't hurt.

Isn't that just the luck! Things always seem to go down the toilet right as the warranty expires (I bet companies do a lot of research on how much there products can withstand and then base the warranty on that!)

Sorry to hear about your pump!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have an AMEDA PY. I don’t really use it much anymore, just because I love the wire-free convenience of my manual Avent, not because there is anything wrong with my PY. But, it never got as much use as yours has because I only used it for about 2 months with DS (I was a SAHM after that and weaned at 6 months) and I’ve mostly been using my Avent with DD.
    ANYWAY, I did notice that sometimes my PY would seem to lose suction or make a “gasping” noise and sound like it was running out of steam. One thing that sometimes helped was to fiddle with the controls a bit. Have you tried that?
    I am going to have a hard time explaining this without a visual aid, but I will try:
    Sometimes, I noticed that for some reason the clear flexible plastic little cup-looking pieces (what are these called??) were not fully inflating and deflating with each pump cycle. I think the cap attached to the air tubes was not fitting tightly and extra air (from the room) was getting in the chamber, causing poor suction. If I took off the cap and adjusted the valve, making sure that it didn’t slip out of place when I resnapped the cap, that helped. Does that make any sense at all?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Another thing to check is the white valves. I recently had to replace both of them. I couldn't tell by looking at them that anything was wrong, but the pump didn't have as much suction. After replacing them, the suction came back.