Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work, how much BM should I have stored?

Default Returning to work, how much BM should I have stored?

Sorry in advance if there is already another thread about this, but I didn't see one...

I'm returning to work May 1st , and so far I only have 15oz. of BM stored. I feel like I should have more after reading that all you mamas have tons and tons of BM stored and I have nothing in comparison. Why so much?

I am Lyric's human pacifier and I feel like I can't find the time to pump. The milk I already have is a result of early morning engorgement after Lyric decides to only eat on one side...

So I guess my questions are these:

-I thought I would only need enough to last the first day and whatever I pumped at work would be for the following day...is this true or do I need more stored?

-If so how much?

-And what's a good schedule to pump so I DO have enough for returning to work?

I don't, REPEAT: DON'T want to have to supplement so any and ALL advice is much appreciated....I just really don't seem to grasp this working, pumping, BF thing....

Wish I didn't have to.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Default Re: Returning to work, how much BM should I have stored?

-I thought I would only need enough to last the first day and whatever I pumped at work would be for the following day...is this true or do I need more stored?
    It depends on you. I personally set a goal to have 1.5 days worth of milk on hand at all times. So I didn't really build up a huge frezzer stash. I use the milk I pump to get baby thru the next day. The only down side to this is if I have an emergency or my body doesn't repsond well to the pump that day, or I have a dip in my supply. I am now working to make hat 3 days worth just for those occasions.

-If so how much?
    The amount you store up is up to you. As far as how much to have for baby...the research says 25oz per day for a 1-6 mo old.
    This website has a great formula to do the calculation. My lo is almost 4mo and he will drink 2-3 bottles while I am gone for 8.5 hrs. (I make 2.5 - 3 oz bottles)

-And what's a good schedule to pump so I DO have enough for returning to work?
    When my lo turned about 4 weeks I would try to pump at least 1 time a day. In the beg. it may not yield much milk, but don't be alarmed, your body has to get use to the pump. Mornings are the best time to pump. My lo only feeds 1 breast at a time so sometimes i will pump the other side while feeding to get a session in.

I work full time and this is my 2nd time bf sucessfully. My first was bf until 10mo (I had to supplement around 9mo though). It can be done w/o supplementing it just takes lots of determination. Some otherr items I would suggest.

1. Once you do return to work try to pump every 3 hrs if possible. I can only get 2 sessions.
    2. Try to relax and take something to remind you of baby.
    3. Eat something with oatmeal 1/day. This will help with your supply.
    4. Try not to stress

Another good read about the MSS technique
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug96p118.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Bump.

Anyone else wanna share some ideas with me?
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

I agree with the other poster's advice. To me, one key is getting relaxed while I'm pumping, so in addition to a picture of my LO, I also have music I listen to, which helps me get away from my work worries. Definitely try to pump every three hours if you can. Consider pumping in the car if you have a long commute. I like having a supply in my freezer because my job is crazy and I can't always pump on a predictable schedule or as much as my LO needs. The last few days he's been eating like a mad man, and I'm so relieved to be pulling bags out of the freezer. Can you add a pumping session after your LO goes to bed? Also, pumping one side in the morning while the baby feeds on another is a great way to build a stash. HTH, best of luck. It's not easy, but it's worth it!!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Before returning to work when my LO was 6 weeks old () I saw a lactation consultant who recommended that I have 100 oz(!!!) in the freezer for when I returned to work. I thought that was crazy and impossible. I probably had about 50 when I started back to work. Then for the first few months I was producing WAY more than my LO was eating. I stopped pumping outside of work at all, and even cut out one of my at-work pumping sessions. I was even looking into possibly donating some of the insane freezer stash I was accumulating...
    Fast forward to today when LO is 7 months old. My freezer stash has somehow frighteningly dwindled. There have been a few instances of freezer bags getting holes in them (this is only really noticable when you go to de-thaw the milk) so that's 5-6 oz just lost. We've had grandparents/sitters who de-thaw WAY too much milk while watching the LO so we have to throw a lot out. There was the one tragic spilled milk incident. I've had to be gone in the evening occasionally without a chance to pump, but LO still eats while I am gone....There are many ways that you can start to lose milk just through attrition.
    So even though I am still producing each day enough for LO for the following day, I am VERY glad that I had quite a stash built up.
    Hope that gives another perspective as to why you might want a stash.

I only pump enough for the next day, so I had enough for my first day of work and that was it. It works for us- I don't really feel like I have to have a stash. It'd be nice to have, but I don't feel it's necessary for us.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I only pump enough for the next day, so I had enough for my first day of work and that was it. It works for us- I don't really feel like I have to have a stash. It'd be nice to have, but I don't feel it's necessary for us.
    I don't have a huge stash either. I have probably about 2-3 days worth stored. As Paige said, I don't really feel like we need a huge stash either since I am with her all other times.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for all the help ladies. I think I'm going to try and build somewhere in between.

I just found a book at the library called Working Mom, Nursing Mom and there is a cool schedule in it to pump small amounts twice a day for 3 weeks and that sounds efficient enough to me. Just so there is a little extra. Thanks again!

And for all those mamas who have a huge stash: GO YOU! That's HARD work I've come to find out!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02