Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Managing nursing baby while working

Default Managing nursing baby while working

Hi,

I have a 12 week old baby and I started back to work this week. I am truly blessed because daycare is just across the street, but I am struggling with nursing.

The trouble I am having is getting baby to nurse from my breast consistently. He is drinking 3.5 to 4 oz from the bottle during the day in daycare every time day feed him.

But at home, or during lunch when I go over to see him, he is rarely on my breast for longer then 5 or 6 minutes.

And it is so hit or miss. One day he nurses fine for good long streches from my breast, the next day he nurses only for a short time.

Then last night I got really worried because he had a dry diaper all night and did not have a wet diaper until morning.

Last night I nursed him at 7:30pm and then we both slept until 2:22am. I woke up and had to wake him up to eat. That I think was too long of a strech for him, I should of woke him up earlier. And he didn't eat for very long before falling back asleep.

Then at 6am I tried to nurse him. He barely ate a thing, and at 7:30am when I got to daycare he nursed for a few minutes and that's it.

But then the daycare people told me he drank 2.5oz at 8:30am and then at 11:00am another 2.5oz. And then of course when I came over at 11:30am he wasn't hungry at all, which was a little frustrating because I told daycare to feed him 4oz at 8:30am so that I could nurse him at 11:30am.

I want to keep nursing my baby and I think I am doing something wrong with how I am doing the nursings but I don't know what. What could I do different to make this process work better so that my baby nurses from my breast better?

And he isn't sleeping in daycare so the poor thing is so exhausted by the time I bring him home, no wonder he falls asleep at the breast. I just don't know what to do.

Default Re: Managing nursing baby while working

Overall it sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. Back to work at 12 weeks is challange. You seem to have created a good setup. How lucky to have daycare across the street!

Keep in mind that this is your first week so baby will need to settle in to this new routine.

Your observations are important to note. I would be wondering the same... dry diaper, not nursing very long, not sleeping at daycare... The not sleeping at daycare and then mega sleeping when home makes me wonder why baby is not sleeping at daycare. I would explore that.

Assuming that you are back on "at home days" on the weekend you will get to see how baby does then.

How flexible is your work with regards to when you take breaks to feed baby. If possible, if daycare gave him the 830 bottle but then they thought he needed a feeding at 11, could they call you and you could just run over then instead of 1130?

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong. On the contrary - you seem spot on.

This weekend went great. Baby must have hit some growth spurt because he was nursing every 1 1/2 on Saturday. That was encouraging to me because I was so worried he would not want to nurse from me after having my BM in bottles. But he seems to be able to switch very well between bottle and breast.

Your suggestion is working great. Thank you.

My work is flexible about when I can take a lunch so that's what I am doing. I am having daycare call me, or I call over there before I go to find out when was the last time he ate.

How do you know how much you should pump at one time? I have been guessing. I tell them to feed the baby 4oz. but I wonder if that's enough for him?

How much? The 4 oz sounds pretty good, but that specific, I do not recall since my boy now is so old... Can someone else chime in on that.

While it might have been a growth spurt... I think it might have been more of "oh cool mom is back full time and I can keep going in and getting reassured" mode.

So glad that its improving....

How was the sleeping at day care this second week?

DS nursed till he was 2 1/2.
    He can now ski faster than me.
    He can almost run faster than me.
    He is playing music loud, "turn that down!"
    He is reading Lord of the Rings.
    He is wonderful !

He is still having trouble sleeping at daycare. At home I always rock him to sleep or put him in a swing during the day. At daycare they just put him in his crib and expect him to fall asleep byhimself whenever they think he should.

He is only 13 weeks old, poor thing, no wonder its hard for him.

I go over during lunch and today after I nursed him, gently swaddled him and rocked him to sleep and then put him in his crib and that seemed to work.

At night he sleeps great though. He only wakes up when he is hungry, which is about twice a nigth so I am able to squeeze in a few 2 1/2 to 3hr streches which these days count as good nights sleep.

Oh I dream of the days when I will be able to sleep at least a 5 hour strech again.

You are right... he is only 13 weeks.

Sleep - yup, it is in short supply when you have a young baby. Is dad around who could take a nightime feeding once every few day to give you that 5 hour stretch. Of course I remember trying to do that with my husband. I would wake up anyhow to insure everything went smoothly.

Sounds like overall things are going a bit smoother.

I think you are doing great!

DS nursed till he was 2 1/2.
    He can now ski faster than me.
    He can almost run faster than me.
    He is playing music loud, "turn that down!"
    He is reading Lord of the Rings.
    He is wonderful !