Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting Desperate

Default Getting Desperate

Some of you may have seen my Fenugreek post a few weeks ago...

Background: I use a hand pump, pump twice in a 4 hours period because I can't get 2 letdowns. In the past I would pump one side at 9am get 3 oz, and then pump the other side at 11am and get 3oz. For the last 4 weeks I have been getting 1.5-2oz per side. It has now been 2 weeks since I started taking 2 tablets of Fenugreek 3 times a day and I know it is in my system as of this morning because I smell like syrup, but I have not seen a change in production.

Question: should I invest in an electric pump and see if they gives me more? Should I up my dosage of Fenugreek to 3 tablets 3 times a day or you think once it is in my system I wont see any change with an additional 3 pills a day? What is the real deal on buying a used pump? Should I be worried or just make sure I buy new tupes/sanitize everything really well before use?

LO takes 6oz while I am at work (I work PT). I had a nice 100oz or so reserve, but that is quickly dwindaling and I am getting desperate. I really want to make it to a year on just BM (well solids too if she would eat them).

Any thoughts/advise is welcome TIA

Default Re: Getting Desperate

A dual electric pump will definitely be more efficient than a hand pump.

You may have to add more to your arsenal. I used to take fenugreek, alfalfa, and fennel (helps with the milk ejection reflex) and be sure to drink lots of water.

But in all honesty, even 2oz per side is pretty good production. A lot of moms don't get anywhere near that.

Good luck.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?