Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time to Give Up?? OUT of frozen milk!! Help!!

Unhappy Time to Give Up?? OUT of frozen milk!! Help!!

My dd is 9 months. I have been bf for that time, with one issue of low milk at 4 months. We worked through that but it took LOTS of effort, pumping, vitamins, fenugreek, etc. I was exhausted!!

Now I have a low supply again. Ran out of frozen milk (I had lots) from giving her one 4oz bottle, then two 4 oz bottles a day for about 1.5 weeks. I waited to long to start pumping again.

I still nurse maybe 2xs a day in morning but I'm worried she's going to wean before too long. She seems to like the formula and is sleeping like never before. I feel so bad though because I really wanted to nurse for at least a year, as recommended. I have been pumping, taking fenugreek, etc. for about five days and no significant increase.

How can I keep her from weaning herself before I get things back up? SHould I give her the formula in a cup? She seems to HATE that although she will take it.

Please reply even if you aren't an expert!

Default Re: Time to Give Up?? OUT of frozen milk!! Help!!

a supplemental nursing system might be very benefical to you. The will keep her at the breast while getting formula. The more stimulation you get, the more milk you'll make so the SNS might be a lifesaver for you! It's a setup with a bottle that you hang around your neck and tubes that run from the bottle down the breast and to the nipple. Your baby will get formula to satisfy her hunger while stimulating your breasts to make more milk!

You can get a brand new one on ebay for fairley cheap or if you are a member of your local WIC program they can give you one for free.

Hope that helps!

Are you able to nurse her before bed or naps? Getting her to the breast more often will really help your supply.

I have always had a low supply. My ds is 7.5 months old and we are still nursing 7-9 times a day. I have found that we need to nurse frequently in order to maintain my milk supply.

Hi there,
    I think it would be helpful to understand what your goals are at this point. You said you wanted to make it BF til at least a year, which is about 3 months away, right?

Is dd getting bottles because you are working?
    Does she nurse at all at any other time during the day or night?

I am sorry for asking you to clarify, but I am just a little confused! (Maybe I am just tired!) I guess I just wanted to know if you know why she isn't nursing other than in the morning.

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks for your responses!!

Just to clarify, no, I am not working. She was nursing only in morning because the rest of the day she would take the breast and then cry and scream. I would then check to see if anything was coming out, and nothing was. My supply just got really low. She's also teething ...so maybe she was getting enough but just in pain. Also, I started my period and it was a full-blown one and I've heard your milk can decrease when that happens. Additionally, I had just gotten over mastitis.

Since she is in the 5th percentile in weight, I am very concerned about her growth/weight. Her pediatrician has been very supportive of my continuing to breastfeed, but at this last visit told me it wouldn't hurt to suppliment with formula.

Right now she is taking formula in a cup (about 4 to 6oz a day). I chucked the bottles. She is breastfeeding one longer session 5 or 6 min first thing in morning. Last night she woke up for a feeding. The rest of the day she might nurse a couple of times for 2 or 3 min.

My goal right now is just to continue supplementing, without stopping bfd completely. I did want to nurse exclusively for a year, but I'm happy that I made it 9 and a half months. I pumped for several days, and I think it did help, but I'm just running out of steam to continue doing that, with my older daughter, etc.

I have tried the supplemental nursing system when she was 4 months and she WOULD NOT have it. I ended up giving her breast milk in a spoon, which was very labor intensive, and exhausting...but after a week my supply returned.

Any advice on how to supplement bfd with formula (ugg!) without her totally weaning herself? Right now she seems happy to breastfeed in the AM and take a cup later.

At this point, from the way I understand it, she is still BF while you are giving her some formula, right? If this is well-within satisfying your goal of nursing with supplementing, then I'd say you are doing fine.

I would continue to offer her the breast all of the time, any time. Babies become very efficient at nursing at her age and some are done in just a few minutes.

Is she eating solids at this point too, or not?