Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sterilizing pump part ?'s

Default sterilizing pump part ?'s

hi ladies!

I bought a bigger sized breast shield today and the man told me that the sterilizing bags from Medela are great b/c you just need to sterilize the parts in the morning and then after pumping throughout the day you just need to RINSE the parts, wash with soap and water at night only, then sterilize in the morning. This seems too good to be true.. do I just need to RINSE the parts if I sterilize in the morning??

Right now I sterilize everything once a week but wash with soap and water after each pump.. I am only an occasional pumper, maybe 3-4x per week.

What do you ladies do??

Default Re: sterilizing pump part ?'s

when I was working FT I would keep it all in the fridge, rinse after my last session before heading home and put in the dishwasher every night on the sterilize cycle. HTH I never hada any problems

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I do a combination of all things. I use the same parts for the day, keeping them in the fridge between uses. At the end of the day I rinse them with soap and water and set them next to the sink. After two days, I put both sets in the medela bags and sterilize them. It really has reduced the amount of time I spend washing the parts and they seem to be lasting longer as well.
    The steam bags are great, however I don't think it is necessary to use them every time. (I posted a similar ? recently and came up with my own system from the great response I received.)
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Can I ask why you keep parts in the fridge? I've never heard of this before does it keep things more sterile?

When I was pumping I used to take clean everythings into work in the morning. Do the set-up stuff with first pumping session. Put the bottles/horn thingies in the fridge at the end of the session. Take everything out all attached. pump, repeat. No rinsing not nothing. Last session of the day included takedown etc. Still no rinsing. Brought everything home and washed with the bottles at night.

I sterilized (horns, bottles etc) once a week in the summer, once every two the rest of the year (I live in Oregon summer is not THAT hot)

That was my ritual
    hth
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristi96 View Post
    Can I ask why you keep parts in the fridge? I've never heard of this before does it keep things more sterile?
    I believe she did it rather than rinse parts between pumping sessions.

I rinse between sessions, set the parts on the windowsill to dry, wash at night. I don't sterilize every say.

IMO the guy was probably just trying to sell you more stuff. You can sterilize by boiling in water for 5 minutes, though I've never tried the microwave bags, they might be really useful.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I put mine in the refigerator between sessions too and to answer your question, it is b/c breastmilk will not spoil in the fridge, just like if it were in a bottle, so you can just pop the horns in the fridge between sessions without rinsing and without risk of spoiling.

I've pumped for three kids, and the only time I ever sterilized was when I opened my pump and each time I took it out of storage. I give the parts a quick wash in the sink and let air dry. Nipples/sippy cup spouts and bottles sometimes get run through the dishwasher. I'm on municipal water, so I don't have to worry about containments in my water which is as far as I know the only reason to sterilize bottles (and formula water).

I have Medela pump in style advanced. I sterlize all the parts everyday at night after coming back from work. Do we have to sterlize tge tubes also? Water gets stuck into the tubes and while pump some dropletes are entering into the bottle. How to deal with this?

I sterlize the parts by putting them in a boiled water for 5 minutes. Is it a correct way of doing? I also sterlize the bottles and nipples as I will be storing the milk in bottles. Is it necssary to sterlize bottles?

When I was pumping, I would do the same thing as some of the other mamas. I would pump throughout the day and keep the parts in the fridge in between pumping sessions. Then, at the end of the night, I would wash everything in hot soapy water and set the parts out to dry overnight. I would sterilize using the Medela microwave bags once every couple of days.