Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eeeek - Pink Milk

Default Eeeek - Pink Milk

I'm a little freaked out because this has never happened before. My lo is 6 months and we are exclusively pumping. Last night when I was pumping, it was totally normal and white then all of the sudden, I looked down and one of the bottles was bright pink. My nipple hurts and I think it cracked and I must have bled in the bottle. My husband said, "gross!" and I was a little freaked out about it, so we threw it out. What should I have done? Now, I've turned the suction way down on my pump, and I'm not pumping as long because I'm scared it will happen again. So, of course, I'm engorged and I'm having to supplement with formula. I've just been treaing with Lanolin, but when you have to pump every few hours, it has no chance to heal.

Default Re: Eeeek - Pink Milk

Hi Mama! I can understand why you're freaked out, but you don't need to be. First of all, it is totally safe to feed your baby bloody milk. If you think it's gross, you can allow the milk to sit in the fridge for a while. Eventually the blood will settle to the bottom of the bottle, and you can pour off the clean stuff floating on top.

Bloody milk is often the result of a tiny broken blood vessel. These vessels are delicate, and break easily, usually painlessly. They also heal easily, usually by the next time you need to nurse/pump. Starting your pump out on low suction and gradually increasing the level to full may help you avoid broken blood vessels.

If you're having pain, the source of the blood may be a crack or milk bleb. In this case, you should probably use Lanolin, and contact a lactation consultant. The problem could be a simple blister, in which case healing will probably take place in under a week (that's how long it always took for me, anyway), but it could be something else, like thrush or incorrectly-sized breast shields.

HTH!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP - totally safe and not unusual. No need to throw out! We just don't usually see it. Check this link out. What's making my milk that strange color?

Thanks for the reassurance. It was just startling to see that pink color. It hurts a little, so I'm using Lanolin. I pumped since I last posted and it was white. I have left the suction down and didn't do any compressions, so I'm still a little engorged on one part. I guess I'm just scared it will happen again. I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't really even know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mattiemoo View Post
    I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't really even know.
    So true! But sometimes even nursing moms realize that it has happened when their babies have bloody spit-up. (BTDT, and it's so gross!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"