Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I still be able to nurse?

Default Will I still be able to nurse?

I am returning to work next week (I'm a teacher) and have a question about pumping. My son is almost nine months old and eats around 10:30 and 1:30 or 2:00. With my planning period, I figured I could pump at 8:00 or so right when I get to school and then again sometime between 10:45 and 12:00. So I will not be pumping when he is eating. That also means I may go from 10:45 to 4:30 without feeding or pumping. Will I still produce milk at the times he wants to eat so I can bf on the weekends?
    Thanks for any help. I am really dreading going back to work.

Default Re: Will I still be able to nurse?

You will probably be fine. You might have to find some time to pump at home to keep up your supply. I pump 2x a day at work when I would normally nurse DS 3-4x in that time. He is used to eating off of one breast so I am pretty diligent about pumping the other breast first thing in the morning b/f going to work. I also pump about 2 hrs after he goes to bed at night and whenever I can on weekends. It is a chore but it's worth it! I have been back to work for a month now and have not noticed a drop in my supply.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001