Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

Default Re: lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

So sorry for your loss. If it helps, there is a separate pumping section. there are many moms who exclusively pump - there is one mom on here somewhere who pumped for two years for her baby! I'm sure that you can find advice for how often/how much to pump in the pumping section. Hope you can have that baby in your arms soon!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Does anyone have any advice on how often to pump to just keep some supply? And then to ramp it up. I was thinking like 4-5 times a day to keep it up and then go to the normal every 2-3 hours the month and a half before he is born???
    I think the answer to that question is different with every woman. Some moms need to pump really frequently in order to maintain supply, some don't. My feeling is that you should adjust your pumping schedule by output- if your output dwindles to a level that is unacceptable to you, add some pumping sessions back in and boost is back up again.

But 4-5 times a day to start with, and then every 2-3 hours before your baby is born sounds like a great starter schedule!

I have read so much about adoption bf and want so badly to be successful at it
    What sort of adoption are you doing? Open or closed? If you're choosing open adoption, then perhaps you could be there when your baby is born, and nurse soon after birth. A good start in the early days can really help get your nursing relationship off to a good start!

and feel such a sense of redemption that my first born did not get to have it but I can use it for our next.
    What a beautiful gift from you, and from your last baby to your next one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm sorry for your loss I think it's wonderful that you want to BF your adopted baby! I agree with the others that I would probably pump. Blessings to you and your new babe!
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

Thank you for all of your input. I have started pumping but I am only yielding about 1.5 ounces a day. I know I waited 4 weeks before doing anything and my milk dried quite a bit, but is this normal? I am pumping like 5 times a day and not waking up at night right now to pump. I am in process of paper work and may be having a boy ready for us to take home this summer like late June early July. So my question is should I pump more now since I am only out puting 1.5 ounces or should I wait and do it around the clock come a month before he comes home? Thank you so much!

I would increase the pumping to 8-10 times a day with your son coming so soon. Pump run the clock with no more than four hour break if you can do it.

In the evening for several days I would try power pumping. Pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes for an hour.

Are you taking fenugreek and blessed thistle? Also, check with your doctor about reglan (not if you have history of depression) or domperidone to increase prolactin.

Save your milk in 2 oz portions and freeze a tiny bit separately and then thaw to see if it tastes good. If it tastes soapy or sour you may have excess lipase that would require scalding the milk before freezing. Check asap so you don't have to toss all your milk.

Congrats and keep it up.

I have started pumping but I am only yielding about 1.5 ounces a day. I know I waited 4 weeks before doing anything and my milk dried quite a bit, but is this normal?
    Yes, I think it's totally normal.

I am in process of paper work and may be having a boy ready for us to take home this summer like late June early July.
    What great news! I hope the adoption goes through.

So my question is should I pump more now since I am only out puting 1.5 ounces or should I wait and do it around the clock come a month before he comes home?
    I think I would try for a supply increase now. Maybe try to get yourself up to .5 oz per pumping session (no science behind that number, that's just what my gut says) and then ramp up to 1-2 oz per session in the final month or two before the baby comes home. That way you won't be under quite as much pressure at the end, and you can get some rest before the baby whirlwind hits! And making milk is never wasted effort: the longer you lactate, the more health benefits there are for you (decreased risk of breast cancer, diabetes, obesity).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rb517 View Post
    I had a still born child at 39 weeks one month ago after having had three miscarriages. My husband and I are sure we are going to move forward with adoption and we will probably be matched quickly. We are adopting a newborn and I really want to breast feed. Would I be better off to pump some to keep my milk in until we have our child home or just try to relactate once we have a match and are moving forward? I produce alot of milk but need to decide asap because I am just about a week away from full dry up and if I should just pump and keep it up, I want to start right away. Any advice would be great from people who have relactated or kept up milk supply until bringing home adopted child.
    Thank you.
    I am deeply sorry for your losses.

I was breastfeeding and had to pump for a month before I went back to it due to my baby having a severe dairy allergy and me having to remove the dairy from my system. First of all I pumped a lot and once or twice during the night also. The last week or so I stopped pumping at night and this dramatically reduced my milk supply, it took me a little while to build it up again. I would say every 4 hours during the day but perhaps to do one night pump too. This is just what I would do but I would be interested to see what others advise. Once you start breastfeeding your milk supply will adjust accordingly but please don't let yourself dry up. You should store the milk you pump in the freezer, I had to throw mine away as it was tainted with dairy. I wish you the absolute best for the future.

I also wanted to say, if you pump a little with each session then that should be fine, as long as you pump until you breast is empty and then some (maybe an extra minute or so). This tells you body to make more. Don't worry about quantity sooo much though because once you are feeding your baby around the clock it will adjust.

Just incase anyone wonders, the reason I threw it away was because my baby's GI dr orginally told me to put him of special formula for a week. Then when I went back, 1 more week and so on or I would have totally donated to a milk bank had I of known...
    Last edited by @llli*bellybee1; April 24th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Smile Re: lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

Thank you so much!!! I am pumping 5 times a day right now and super pumping at around midnight before I go to bed. I have gone from 1 oz per day to 5 in two weeks!!! I am waiting until my final confirmation on the match and then I will start waking up at night. But since my milk is increasing so well already I am super excited!!! Thank you for all the input. My little guy is going to be so blessed by the good input so mommy has enough to feed him!!

That is great news! I'm so happy things are going well.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63