Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

Default lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

I had a still born child at 39 weeks one month ago after having had three miscarriages. My husband and I are sure we are going to move forward with adoption and we will probably be matched quickly. We are adopting a newborn and I really want to breast feed. Would I be better off to pump some to keep my milk in until we have our child home or just try to relactate once we have a match and are moving forward? I produce alot of milk but need to decide asap because I am just about a week away from full dry up and if I should just pump and keep it up, I want to start right away. Any advice would be great from people who have relactated or kept up milk supply until bringing home adopted child.
    Thank you.

Default Re: lost baby-now adopting.Pump???

no advice here but I am sure others will chime in when they see this....

s and
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    and I can't speak from experience but I would say to definitely pump. Relactating takes a lot of work and time. hth
    And I am so sorry for your losses. You are a great mama to be planning to bf your adopted baby!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I also vote pump. I don't think you need to keep a full supply going- just enough that you don't dry up. Once you have your newborn in your arms, he or she will probably quickly get you up to a full supply very quickly.

Do you know how long it will be until you have your new baby? If you are going to be informed a few months ahead of time, you will have plenty of time to ramp your production up and you may want to allow your supply to dwindle down a bit while you wait for the good news. If you might not know until very close to the day your baby is in your arms, you may want to keep a somewhat larger supply going.

Best of luck to you and your family!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I also vote pump. I don't think you need to keep a full supply going- just enough that you don't dry up. Once you have your newborn in your arms, he or she will probably quickly get you up to a full supply very quickly.

Do you know how long it will be until you have your new baby? If you are going to be informed a few months ahead of time, you will have plenty of time to ramp your production up and you may want to allow your supply to dwindle down a bit while you wait for the good news. If you might not know until very close to the day your baby is in your arms, you may want to keep a somewhat larger supply going.

Best of luck to you and your family!
    This sounds like great advice to me!
    I am sorry for your loss
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

sorry for your loss.

Do what you think would work well for your family!

I'm sorry for your losses.

I think it's awesome you plan on bfing your adopted baby! I have no experience with your situation but I would definitely say pump now and keep your milk supply up.

My baby was born early and so for the 7 1/2 weeks he was in the NICU I pumped and he came home nursing a little but mostly bottle feedings...but since he's been home we've been nursing and I'm so glad that I pumped so much while we were apart, even though it's such a pain to pump all the time, it was so worth it for us.

Good luck mama!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thank you for the help, and support. I think pumping is best and like it was said on here I can just keep my supply going at a slower rate and then once we are confirmed on our match I can ramp up. Does anyone have any advice on how often to pump to just keep some supply? And then to ramp it up. I was thinking like 4-5 times a day to keep it up and then go to the normal every 2-3 hours the month and a half before he is born??? I have read so much about adoption bf and want so badly to be successful at it and feel such a sense of redemption that my first born did not get to have it but I can use it for our next. Just not sure what to follow in terms of how much and how long each pumping!!

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't have any experience with adoptive lactation personally but I found this information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

So sorry for your loss. If it helps, there is a separate pumping section. there are many moms who exclusively pump - there is one mom on here somewhere who pumped for two years for her baby! I'm sure that you can find advice for how often/how much to pump in the pumping section. Hope you can have that baby in your arms soon!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!