Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to feed

Default How much to feed

I posted this question on the "Starting Solids" board, but I thought someone here might be able to help me out. We are exclusively pumping and my lo eats around 30-35 ounces a day. I am having trouble keeping up and he isn't interested in solids. I have had to supplement with 4 to 8 oz of formula a day to meet his demand. Do your little ones eat this much???

Default Re: How much to feed

Sorry I don't have personal info but have you seen this?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

That will give you a good idea on the average range.

Thanks for the link. It looks like we are just above the upper end of normal. I get, on average, about 30 oz. of expressed milk a day and he takes usually 4 to 8 ounces more than that. Maybe once he gets on solids, he'll decrease his milk intake a little. I guess he's just a hungry guy?? I've tried decreasing his amount a little, but if I put less than 4 1/2 to 5 ounces in his bottle, he puts up a fuss. Then if I give him the extra ounce or so, he calms right down. He also still eats every 3 hours and wakes up once at night to eat, so that puts us at 35 or so ounces a day. Just seemed high to me?

It is a little higher than average. My LO recently went through a week where he was drinking a ton when I was away (20oz in 13-14 hours!!). I was freaked out that I would never keep up, and then he seemed to ease off a little (only had 18 yesterday). Part of it is growth spurts and other unidentifiable variables. I am lucky in that I can usually pump what he needs at work, but we did have to dip into the freezer supply. Also, have you tried feeding him three ounces, seeing if you can distract him, and then feeding more if he really wants it? That's what my DCP does and he tends to do okay with that.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start