Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain with pumping

Question Pain with pumping

Hello.

I am exclusive pumper for my little baby girl... I have a Medela In Style pump. I'm wondering...is it normal to have a bit of pain when pumping begins? It's almost like a really hard pinch or bite with a pain that shoots right through me. It does subside a bit after a couple of minutes but sometimes it is quite painful (sometimes more than others). Also, at times my skin will crack and even bleed. I've had to stop pumping a couple of times when the suction on the pump pulls out a bunch of blood from a crack or small wound.

I use Lansinoh cream after every pump session and I try to allow myself to air dry in between sessions for as long as possible.

When I first started pumping, the wounds were pretty bad, but then I completely healed. For the past several weeks, I've had no pain, no bleeding, and no cracking. Now, however, it seems to have started back up again.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Default Re: Pain with pumping

You could try turning down the suction and making sure your nipples are centered. Also makes sure you have the correct size in the flange.
    I had soreness when I first started pumping, but it quickly stopped.
    I know there are lots of pumping mama's on here with great advice, i'm sure they will have some better ideas for you.
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Maybe you need a different size horn. I usually feel a letdown but pain is not normal.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Maybe you need a different size horn. I usually feel a letdown but pain is not normal.
    try this link

http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Wow! That was fast!!

I think I will give a larger flange a shot... are there problems having one that is too big? Would it be unwise for me to just get the biggest I can find?

Agree with PP - check out your flange size and try turning down the suction. You should not have that kind of pain or cracking/bleeding!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mallorymom View Post
    Wow! That was fast!!

I think I will give a larger flange a shot... are there problems having one that is too big? Would it be unwise for me to just get the biggest I can find?
    I just went one size up until it felt decent, i ended up with a different size on each breast, one reg one large? if you can visit a LC they can sometimes 'fit you' for the proper size
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mallorymom View Post
    Wow! That was fast!!

Yeah, you'd not pump anything if your flange was too big! Try calling the hospital and ask if they do pump rentals/sales though an LC there. She can fit you for the right size and then you can order it. Or just look up breast pump/rental sales and you'll find someone!