Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can weaning process cause late period?

Default Can weaning process cause late period?

In process of "don't offer, don't refuse" weaning. She dropped to 3x/day for the past 2 weeks or so and I haven't pushed dropping anymore feedings right now. DD is 12 months. Have had regular periods since she was almost 4 months. They come like clockwork every 4 weeks and even start around the same time of day(am) every time. I had regular periods early on w/other 2 DD's and when I weaned them it never effected my periods. Period was due yesterday(Sunday) morning and still isn't here(now mid-day Monday). This is just VERY unlike me to be late! Little freaked out b/c I am not on birth control and I watch for mucous changes and sometimes chart my temps. I was thinking last night maybe this is due to the dropped feedings this month? Thanks

Default Re: Can weaning process cause late period?

I can't speak as an expert, but I am experiencing the same thing. I was like clockwork the whole time my son was nursing, but as soon as he weaned, I became very irregular again. I had a panic that first month and was worried that I was pregnant (I wasn't, but I was really really late ). I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

Default Re: Can weaning process cause late period?

It definately could affect your period.. but you might want to take a pregnancy test just to be sure.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!