Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping on days off

Default pumping on days off

Do I need to continue to pump on my days off of work if I only breast feed those days. I only work part time so I am home 3-4 days a week and will only breast feed. Also I have noticed that if I pump after I breast feed and haven't pumped in a few days, I don't get as much. Is this a supply issue or has my body just adjusted to the amt of milk my baby needs and won't produce more so I won't get much when I pump. Then my concern is my supply will go down if I don't pump on my days off. My babies diapers are fine. Let me know what you all do on your days off, and what works well for you.

Thanks,
    Autumn
    Mommy to Lilliana Kristine
    Born Jan 31st 2009

Birth: 6lbs 6oz
    2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

Default Re: pumping on days off

On my days off, I typically just nursed my LO all day. I considered it a welcome break from the pump! Sometimes I would pump at bedtime, after my LO had gone to bed, to try and have a little extra milk for the upcoming week, but in general, I just nursed my LO on my days off.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Heck no!

Ok let me see if I understand. Are you saying that your pumping less right after your baby nurses? That's understandable, your baby just nursed! That's actually a good thing, your baby and your body have adjusted to each other!

If you are pumping at work for missed nursing sessions, then it's better to just nurse your baby while your at home. Your supply will go down if you start skipping sessions or not pumping as often at work. You'll probably create an oversupply if you pumped AND nursed on your days off. Sounds like overflowing in milk wouldn't be bad, but believe me it comes with it's share of problems!

Keep it simple if you can! Nurse when your baby wants to nurse, pump when your baby is not there to nurse!

I just nurse when I'm not at work. If you need extra milk, you can pump on your days off, but it's not necessary.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh wonderful. I am not a fan of pumping, so it great to hear that I don't have to pump on days off unless I need a little extra milk, but I already have so much in the freezer. I am planning to pump 2-3 times while I am at work, I'll be gone about 9hrs total, so hopefully that is enough. I don't want to have an over supply of milk again . I have already gone through that. My 1st day back to work is on Thursday. Wish me luck.
    Mommy to Lilliana Kristine
    Born Jan 31st 2009

Birth: 6lbs 6oz
    2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

Good luck!!

I pumped once for each bottle he got. So in the beginning he got 4, I pumped 4 times. Gradually did less as he took less!

I despise pumping... I personally pump as little as I can. If LO is nursing on the days you are with him, then I would replace each nursing session with pumping while away. Why do more work then you need to, you work hard enough already.
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*merisue View Post
    I despise pumping... I personally pump as little as I can. If LO is nursing on the days you are with him, then I would replace each nursing session with pumping while away. Why do more work then you need to, you work hard enough already.
    Good luck on Thursday - let us know how things go...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png