Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flying and pumping question

Default flying and pumping question

We will be flying to Texas in a couple of months...DS will be almost 4 months when we go....my question is...at this point I am pumping about every 6 hours...(he was unable to breastfeed...so exclusively pumping) our flight will be just over 6 hours (with a 2 hour layover) can I take my PIS on the plane as a carryon? or will it have to be checked in my luggage? I'm concerned that I won't be able to pump for 8-10 hours (from the time we get to the airport and actually fly out and get to TExas....and then get to where we are going...

I know it's way in advance...but I'm just a plan ahead sort of person...thanks in advance for the advice

Default Re: flying and pumping question

You should have no problem carrying your pump on with you (you might want to call your airline just to double check). You are also allowed to bring on breast milk.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yes, carry your pump. I just did it on a long trip (usually I carry a manual to travel). I also found out that the diaper bag can be carried on as a third item as well so you don't have to give up or stash the purse or any of the other tons of things you carry when traveling w/ a baby. Last trip I had my purse, the pump, the car seat, the umbrella stroller and a laptop tavelling alone w/ my two girls. I was never so happy to get home in my life

Last time we flew to Hawaii, 6. 5 hour flight I brought mine just in case. (the last time we traveled DD got very sick and I got very full)! We we checked in I told the lady behind the counter that I had a breast pump in my bag, she had a screener check it, and mark it as ok. I do you have the PIS travel or regular PIS. My was the travel, so I was able to take it out of the case and just have the small pump.

If you are really worried about it see if your Pedi, or primary doc will give you a letter, like a perscription saying that the pump is necessary and that you are required to use it every few hours.

If they won't allow you to carry your PIX, you could always use a manual pump. Hoepfully it won't be a problem.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Just to add on to previous posts - I flew this past weekend. I am an exclusive pumper and had to carry milk and my pump with me. I tried desperately to find out from TSA what I could carry to keep the milk cold. I never got any response.

Turns out I could have carried freezer packs in the cooler tote. But everything turned out fine. I carried 2 ziplock bags with me and asked the flight attendant to give me ice as soon as we got on board. I suggest doing this if you have to pump on board. They were very helpful.

I carried my pump figuring I would go to the bathroom to pump, but when I got back there I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Airplane restrooms are too disgusting.

Needless to say, by the time we got to our hotel and the end of the journey (9 hours or so later) I was eager to pump. I am blessed enough with my supply that the long breaks don't affect me much.

In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a little manual pump and covered myself with a blanket to relieve the pressure. I will probably do that at Christmas when we fly overseas.

As for what we could bring on board - the milk obviously, infant tylenol and eye drops for contacts. They consfiscated our diaper cream.

It was our first time flying with dd. I put her in my hotsling and went right through security. Well, I did hold up the line for 15 minutes over the diaper cream. But they let me wear her and I got lots of compliments on the sling.

Default what's a hotsling?

just curious

Default Re: what's a hotsling?

Quote Originally Posted by mkshriver
    just curious
    http://www.hotslings.com/

I will be flying with my LO in Nov (he'll be 5.5 mo)...from Germany to Chicago! I'm going to have to pump on the plane as well, but I figured I'd just throw a blanket over me and do it in my seat. It's good to hear the flight attendents are helpful, I was planning on bringing some frozen EBM just in case....will they warm it for you? I'm just dreading the 10 hour flight (not to mention the layover in Zurich!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan's Mom
    I will be flying with my LO in Nov (he'll be 5.5 mo)...from Germany to Chicago! I'm going to have to pump on the plane as well, but I figured I'd just throw a blanket over me and do it in my seat. It's good to hear the flight attendents are helpful, I was planning on bringing some frozen EBM just in case....will they warm it for you? I'm just dreading the 10 hour flight (not to mention the layover in Zurich!).
    i bet, at the very least, they can bring you a cup of hot water and you can warm it that way.