Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to work at 15 months

Default Going to work at 15 months

Hi Everyone!
    My LO is only about 11 MO. I currently take her to work so she nurses quite a bit I think about 8 times per day. It's actually too often to count. When she's about 15 MO, I will start a job where I can't take her anymore. I will be gone from about 9 am to 8 pm. I' just worried about how she will go from this frequent amount of nursing to only at morning night and weekends. I feel really bad and want to make this transition as easy as possible for her. Any suggestions? TIA

Default Re: Going to work at 15 months

Start taking some weekend trips away from your LO. 2-4 hour trips if you haven't already. Know that at 1st no matter what I tell you here it will be hard on both of you. BUT you will both adjust.
    How is your LO doing with solids? That is really important. I was home with my son until he was 14months old. We nursed on demand right until that point. At which point I went back to work full time and I am away from him 42-50 hours a week and he immediately went from 8-12 times a day down to about 6? Waking in the morning, Hello, (when we 1st saw each other), right after dinner, bed time and 1-3 time a night. And then up and down for naps when together. He NEVER had any milk while away from me. I never pumped and he wouldn't drink cows milk back then. So while away from me he ate solids and drank water and was fine. As long as they are nursing 3-5x a day they are getting enough of yoru breastmilk not to need other milk. But obviously it is/will be a much easier transition of your child is eating plenty of food while away from you. Don't feel worried if you aren't there yet! you still have 6 months to go! But think in terms of where you want to be when your child is finally in care. Because knowing that your child is getting the right amount of nutrition will take immense pressure off of you during this difficult time. And when your heart is breaking you won't have the added pressure of thinking you need to pump.
    know that the anxiety you will experience is normal. I don't know what your specific care situation will be, but I DO think that eventually both Mother and Baby do benefit from time spent awy from each other. I know my son has THRIVED in his care situation. I'm sure yours will too.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for this DJ's mom. Honesty and someone's actual experience are really important for me to hear. Right now she only has solids twice a day and snacks about once a day. I was going to add a third meal on her first birthday. Luckily she loves food. I haven't found a single food that she doesn't like so I feel good about meeting her nutritional needs. Since I had supply issues I was planning to pump to keep up my supply. I think this should be possible at work. Plus I will feel more connected to her and be able to provide her with EBM to drink. Although lately she won't take EBM from a sippy cup. It's good that I won't need to stress about the pumping at this point though.
    I'm relieved to hear that you went from nursing on demand to six times a day because I was worried that this decrease in nursing would be a shock for her. This is also what my situation will ideally look like.
    Luckily she my husband and sister will share the childcare duties which they actually share right now. They actually take her places for a few hours at a time while I'm at work so I can get some work done.
    Ok well I feel much better now. I can also work on preparing myself for the fact that this will be a difficult situation at first.

Perhaps you can start making slight shifts in your current work setting to help prep you and your LO for the new arrangement you will have. Have DH and your sister can start slowly lengthening the time between visits to you so that instead of every 2hrs it's 2.5hrs, then 3hr, then 4hr, etc. This will allow you and her to slowly adjust to the change and help you to gauge how well she's doing with solids and fluid intake while away from you. I also think that you may find that your DD starts to cut back on her nursing frequency all on her own in the next 5mos. I know my DDs frequency gradually cut back after she turned a year old even on weekends when we are home together all day.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I went back to work, very suddently, PT when DS #1 was 18 months old, and it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. And it sure wasn't as awful as the first time I left DS #2 at 4 months and DS #1 at 28 months at a dcp (they were fine. I was a mess) and it's sure nothing like now when I leave all three of them with DH to work my weekend shifts!

I thnk, for me, it was the fact that #1 was older, could eat solids, loved his food and wasn't quite so reliant upon ME that made it all OK, and we enjoyed our time apart. I pumped just for my comfort while away, and he drank regular milk and juice but nursed when we got back together. But the pumping didn't last long, and I seemed to have enough milk when we were together (of course, I got pregnant again right about then and lost my supply anyway).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Xerex,

I found you here! It's me Anne Marie the one with the baby hooked on the SNS. I finally got my baby off. He will be 10 mo. April 23rd. I had a few questions for you. My baby is nursing without the tube but is getting very little. I don't want to go back to the tube as risk him getting hooked again. So I am taking fenugreek and pumping when I can to try and the supply better. This is the second day of no tubes, so I know it will take a few days to get the supply up. I am trying to make up for any milk loss with solids. The diapers are there, but very sparse. Was that how it was for you the first few days? Not as many wet diapers? I was wondering how that went for you? I remember your doctor recommending keeping up with bananas and avocado to up the weight. Did you give baby liquid anywhere else besides your own breast in order to get wetter diapers? Just curious about some of those details. I hope that all is well with your little one!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.