Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply problems...HELP!

Default Oversupply problems...HELP!

My son is almost 2 months old, and for about 2 weeks my breastmilk supply has skyrocketed. I have tried nursing normally (offering one breast each feeding). I've tried block feeding in 3 hour blocks, and nothing seems to be working. I'm waking up in the middle of the night, and the breast he hasn't fed on is completely engorged and hurting. I know repeated engorgement without relief can cause mastitis, and that is why I want to get this under control.

I don't want to pump because it will just exasperate the problem and start a vicious cycle. HELP! I don't know what to do.
    I'm Jennifer. Proud SAH Army wife to Brian, new mother to Barrett.

Default Re: Oversupply problems...HELP!

You definitely need to relieve the engorgement. If you pump just enough to make yourself comfortable it shouldn't be a problem. Definitely don't empty your breast.

Keep doing the block feeding- extend the amount of time ou are nursing on one side if you think it would help. You could keep nursing on the same side until it feels empty. The block feeding takes some time to effectively reduce your supply. I'm not sure how long you've been doing it, but it might take a week or more to notice a drop in supply.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will try block feeding again and see how it goes. How long of a block would you suggest starting with?
    I'm Jennifer. Proud SAH Army wife to Brian, new mother to Barrett.

The way I did it was more based on number of feedings than time. I'd nurse on one breast. When she was hungry again I'd nurse on the same breast. But I wasn't doing it to decrease my supply, I had a foremilk-hindmilk problem.

This is what kellymom says about how to do block feeding:

If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.

• Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    • Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    • If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    • In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
    The reason block feeding works is because allowing one breast to get full sends the signal to make less milk. The key is being consistent with it. It will take your body several days to a week to adjust your milk supply to the signals you are sending it.

Here's the rest of that article, there are some other suggestions about how to deal with oversupply in there, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You definitely need to relieve the engorgement.
    Like suggested, I would just pump until you feel comfortable. If not, you are going to end up with terrible plugged ducts which will lead to mastitis.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!