Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to wean when you're pumping exclusively

Default how to wean when you're pumping exclusively

how to wean when you're pumping exclusively?

can anyone give me advice on how to wean when pumping exclusively? i have a 21 month old and want to wean due to pregnancy b/c i've been having some spotting. i have always had a mega supply and it has recently decreased some since the PG. but, i am still pumping about 36 - 40 ounces a day - i pump 3 times a day - about 16 ounces in the morning, 10 ounces in the afternoon, and 12 ounces in the evening before bed. it takes me 30 - 60 minutes to pump each session.

can anyone recommend how i might begin the weaning process? obviously i would like to wean ASAP due to pregnancy, but i know common sense says that could bring problems with engorgement and infections, etc. so any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks so much!

Default Re: how to wean when you're pumping exclusively

I would just cut out the amount you are pumping at each session gradually, and then start cutting out sessions. By the time I got pregnant I was only pumping 2x a day, and then it was only about 6-7 ounces per session, so I cut out a session without a problem. I only pumped about 4 ounces for that session once I cut down to one, and then I just stopped without any engorgement or problem. It might help that you are pregnant... I know it helped my supply die quicker than it would have.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    I would just cut out the amount you are pumping at each session gradually, and then start cutting out sessions. By the time I got pregnant I was only pumping 2x a day, and then it was only about 6-7 ounces per session, so I cut out a session without a problem. I only pumped about 4 ounces for that session once I cut down to one, and then I just stopped without any engorgement or problem. It might help that you are pregnant... I know it helped my supply die quicker than it would have.
    thanks for your reply! how long did it take you to pump 6 - 7 ounces? i don't know if my pumping sessions are longer than usual? about 30 minutes per session right now

Yeah, you could cut time off too if you wanted. A couple minutes at a time. I usually pumped for 10-20 minutes per session.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

FWIW, the spotting may not be related to nursing/pumping at all and quitting may not end it. I bled heavily through all my pregnancies, and the midwife never suggested that I quit to stop it. In fact, when we found out with DS #2 and #3 why I was bleeding, she said stopping nursing would absolutely not make a difference - they were subchorionic hematomas and they would have been bled out or scarred up no matter what I did (baby #2 had two SCH's, one bled out one scarred, #3 just had one I bled out). The one baby I didn't spot with I lost in the second tri At least a third of normal healthy pregnancies have spotting in the first trimester.

So, don't sweat it, IMHO, if you take some time to wean off, and FWIW #2, I know I had virtually no milk by 20 weeks and by 8 weeks even, my supply had taken a serious, serious hit with all my pregnancies, and I'd always had an OS before.

Happy pregnancy!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks for your replies. i am so scared b/c i am spotting. but the ultrasound showed a heartbeat at 6.5 weeks and the HCG level looks good. but my spotting is getting a little bit worse each day. i had a miscarriage before, so that makes me all the more nervous.

wow. You have pumped for 21 months???? 30- 60 min at a time? That takes dedication woman!!! Thats amazing that you can pump that much! I just weaned my dd around week 10 of pregnancy.. my supply took a huge hit. I just slowely cut out feedings and I didn't experience any engorgement or pain or anything. Good luck!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!