Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fenugreek Effect

Default fenugreek Effect

Ever since returning from Spring Break (about 2 weeks ago) I have not been able to pump the 6oz that I used to pump, which is the same amount that DD drinks from the bottle while I am at work. DD is still taking the same amount, but I am only getting 4-4.5oz. I decided to try Fenugreek, started taking is last thursday night, and I haven't seen an improvement in supply. DD is still not interested in solids so the demand on her end should be the same. She also isn't nursing more often nor does she seem dissatisfied after nursing so I don't think she isn't getting enough when she is nursing from me, but I am not replacing what she is taking.

All that for my question: DD has never been a baby that spit-up and I feel like since I have been on the Fenugreek she has been spitting up. Anyone else have this side-effect?

How long did it take for the Fenugreek to kick in for you guys? I started taking 2 pills twice a day, but today I am going to kick that up to 2 pills 3 times a day.

The "create" alias isnt working so sorry about that

Default Re: fenugreek Effect

I'm sure someone knows better, but I think it takes quite a while to kick in if it's going to work for you. I took a ton of it, for weeks on end, and it never seemed to do a thing except make my armpits smell like pancakes.

Funny thing is, two days after I stopped I started making more. Weird...

I never did notice a spitup difference with it though. My kids spit up no matter what, Fenugreek or not! It does list in the side effects that it makes your sweat and urine smell like maple, I wonder if it flavors the breastmilk too?

I took three caps three times a day and noticed an improvement within a day. If you don't smell like maple syrup you aren't taking enough. DD had green frothy poop and reflux on it but she had horrible reflux anyway.

However, it could be that your LO is going through a growth spurt or teething and is fussy for that reason. And/or your pump output could be low not from reduced supply but perhaps because you are not relaxing and having a good milk ejection reflex.

I am now taking 2 pills 3 times a day. Yesterday I got my 6oz which was GREAT, but I just tried to pump and I couldn't get a letdown. I tried thinking about nusing, smells, etc. I am usually able to get a let down, but when I let down I am just not getting as much a I used to.

I still don't smell maple syrup so maybe I need to increase to 3 pills 3 times a day. If that doesn't work I don't know what I will do. My LO is only 7 months and I am bound and determined to make it to a year.

I know that stress does not help the situation, but its hard to not stress. I am going to try pumping again in 30 minutes to see if I can get a letdown...AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

I have been taking Fenugreek for many months now. I have always taken 3 pills 3x a day. I smelt the maple syrup at first, but now it is gone. Not sure if that means it no longer has its effects, or if it just doesn't smell anymore. I have had a hard time with the let down also. I finally figured out to bring my laptop with me for distraction when pumping. Also takes a good 30 mins of pumping times, usually get a second letdown around 28 mins ha. I only get around 3-6 oz at a time total. I am amazed at how much stress affects it, atleast for me. Hang in there Mama! We can make a year!

I belong to another pumping board and most moms I know there started out with 12 pills a day. I've been told that's the max. I, however, never noticed an increase in supply with Fenugreek. The only way I've gotten an increase is by pumping more. Hope everything works out for you.