Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daycare Feeding

Default Daycare Feeding

My baby girl started daycare last week. I send in 8 2oz bottles a day since I don't know how much she will eat since I've been the only one to feed her. So, between the hours of 7:30-3:30 the last 2 days they have been feeding her 3 bottles at a time. She has been eating around 10 or 11 and then 2 or 3. She has 2 good naps at school. When she is with me she eats every 3 hours and a bit longer is she is napping. Should I worry about my supply or that they are feeding her wrong? She does not spit up from any of it. She is 3 1/2 months old.

Default Re: Daycare Feeding

So she's eating twice in about 8 hours? And about 6oz at each sitting?

So total of 12oz for 8 hours?

That's within the 1-1.5oz per hour gone guideline, but for a baby that little I might have them feed her more often (request they try a bottle every 2-3 hours) and a little less at each feeding. Maybe try 3oz bottles every 2-3 hours and see how that goes.
    Make sure they are doing things like, letting her take the bottle instead of pushing the nipple into her mouth. Switching sides with each bottle, giving her a break to see how she's doing. Check your nipples to make sure they are slow flow, turn them upside down and see if they drip about one drop per second, any faster is too fast.
    Also daycare workers are usually used to formula, which requires more and more as babies get older. Breastmilk doesn't work like that, for instance the most my 12 month old ever took was 4oz at once. I've heard up to 6oz in a setting but more like 2-4oz is average range.
    SO they think they are starving your baby if she only takes 3oz per sitting, because that probably wouldn't be enough for a formula fed baby!

HTH!

maybe I should add - I pump 2.5 hours after last feeding and can pump out 5.5oz - I guess that is what leaves me so confused - what I read 6 seems to be too much, but then I can pump out almost that much and I now she is more efficient than my PISA.

It's probably a bit of oversupply, I usually tended to pump a little more than he took or a little less than he took. I used that extra to tide me though the lower days.
    I know it's really confusing!

ETA: 5.5 might be normal for you right now, in a month or two it could go down to 4 without changing anything and then go back up. So finding the middle point is key!