Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a bad bite...

Default a bad bite...

my daughter, now 23 months started throwing tantrums at least once a day for the past couple of weeks. all we could do to console her was... basically nothing. she would kick, scream, bite - and most of the time it would end in a feeding to put her to sleep.

when she was kept busy, well fed and active it curbed, then we took a trip and it was hard for her to adjust.

anyhow - i am 7 months pregnant - and the other day during a bad cry- cuz she was tired - i tried nursing her and she bit me VERY bad. i bled a little, and have not nursed her since in 24 hours. i think it may be time to wean her, because i can't go through that again. she is tired and has not napped today, and last night i left her in a seperate room at my sister's house - and she slept with her without a problem. (better than when she sleeps with me). well, i'll have her tonight and am scared about not being able to nurse her to bed, and back to bed when she awakens... but if any of you have suggestions please help! i didn't want to wean her - but she's been ok and understanding when I've told her the milk is all done right now - and I think it may be best, becuase it was stressing us out real bad.

any help would be very much appreciated. thanks

Default Re: a bad bite...

even though no one has replied, i'll post progress.

my dd has gone over 35 hours without breastmilk. she's been a strong little girl. she did get real sad last night but initially putting her to bed was so easy. we just said good night to her dolls after bath and a snack and she was out!

but when she'd awaken in the night it was bad. i hope the rest of the week gets easier. but she did it! she's such a big girl!

i think this has been much more of an emotional milestone for me though. it seems like she's doing better than me!

and my right nipple is almost healed!!!!

I've no advice as we aren't near weaning but I'm so glad you're making progress. Kids are amazing!!

I feel for you....I'm trying to wean my 11-month old, with very slow progress. He has recently taken to biting me as well, hard enough that I basically scream in pain. It has scared him, and made me afraid to feed him at times. I know the books tell you to end the feeding when they do that, but my DS does it when he's latching on!

Sounds like you're doing great, and your daughter too. I'm always amazed at how much we parents stress out over changes, only to have our kids surprise us.

Lisa

just felt like reposting.

it's day 4 without milk or cheche as my baby calls it.

she will ask for it and not fight about it. but i can tell it's been hard.

she has gone from 5 night wakings the first night to 2 on night 2 and 1 on night 3. last night in fact she woke up with a big screaming fest, but then fell asleep for 8 hours straight - something she's NEVER done in 2 years. maybe weaning was right for her.

i was very reluctant about weaning before her time and wanted her to lead it, but honestly it's been what she's needed. i was thinking of letting her feed at least 2 times a day, but i think it was all or nothing for her. i'm getting more rest and she seems much calmer now that she has to find other means to sooth herself, and she did not throw a tantrum all day. but she has become quite possesive and controlling - but in a bit of a funny way.

well, i guess people are right. weaning can happen.
    i wish any of you trying the best.