Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I feel sad...

Default I feel sad...

My son is 16 months old and we have really started weaning over the past couple weeks. I stopped pumping at work and sening milk to daycare with him. My husband has been putting him to sleep at night so that cut out another session...He still nurses in th emiddle of the night and when ever he asks when he is awake, such as after we get home from daycare... Anyway it is really starting to feel like soon our nurisng relationship will be over and I can't help but be sad. I also just got my period back for the first time so apparently my body has gotten the weaning message as well... Just wanted to vent to people who understand. My husband just stares at me when I mention that I am sad about this.

Default Re: I feel sad...

I am so sorry momma!!! I am not on the path to weaning yet, but am getting close, and am already sad, I can't imagine how you are feeling! I don't have any advice for you, as I have not yet traveled this road, but I wanted to offer some encouragement and support! I know this is normal, but I am sure not easy. Just remember, that you can slowly wean, so enjoy each session that you get from here on out! I already soak up the moments that i can nurse my LO. I don't get to very often as I work full time and am away all day. I only nurse at night. On the weekends, I sometimes sneak in a snack, just so i can sit and watch her nurse!

Hang in there! You have done a great job making it to 16 months , I am hoping to make it one more month to one year!!

for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

I don't think guys fully understand the emotional bond that forms between mamas and their nurslings. I'm sure that most guys assume that we'll just be thrilled to have our boobs back to ourselves (heck my husband is hoping that HE gets my boobs back...doubtful!). I was sad when I was pump weaning. It was such a part of my daily routine that it felt strange not to pump. It took a few weeks to adjust to that.

Some LOs hold on to one or two sessions for quite a long time. I couldn't foresee my 20mo giving up her last 2 sessions if I wasn't guiding that process. So, if you are interested in continuing to nurse when he asks I'm sure that weaning could still be a long time coming.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    So, if you are interested in continuing to nurse when he asks I'm sure that weaning could still be a long time coming.
    Absolutely. Lots of mamas continue to nurse only a couple of times/day. I pump weaned at a year, but continued to nurse unti lmy daughter was 2.

to you, though. You have every right to feel sad. Men just can't understand.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you all for your responces. I sure do treasure the moments now. I remember at the begining having supply issues and I am so lucky that I have made it this far. I just think about it all and how much my Lo has grown and changed over the past almost year and half and I get all teary...

My son will be 16 months tomorrow, and we are working on a partial weaning. He is away from me 2 or 3 days a week, and has stopped taking a bottle, so he goes without. He is only waking once or twice most nights now (that is down from an average of 5 times a night when he was around 9 months), so his night nursing has decreased, too. When he is feeling well (no teething or cold or growth spurt) and I am home with him, he only nurses before and after sleeping many days.

I'm sympathize with your feeling of loss. Are you sure you are ready to wean completely? Many of my breastfeeding friends told me that they weaned after they were ready for it to be over. DS is my first, so I haven't had that experience myself.

-Lisa
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.