Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My EBM tasted like soap... :(

Default My EBM tasted like soap... :(

There must have been some soap in one of the bottles cuz I went to give DS the small bottle of EBM (1 oz) that I had in the fridge... No wonder he refused it!

Ack, I'm pumping into playtex drop in bottles for the time being... At least then I don't have to worry about the soap issue...

This BITES!!

Default Re: My EBM tasted like soap... :(

That sucks so bad for you after all your hard work! At least you can take comfort in knowing that is just the beginning of your soon to be overflowing milk supply!

Did it smell odd too? You might want to read this info on excess lipase in breast milk, which can give EBM a soapy taste:

kelly mom says: "
    A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it."

Excess Lipase

I admire your determination and wish you guys continued, growing success!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Nope, it didn't smell 'odd'. The whole bottle smelled like my dish soap though so I truly think there might have been some soap residue in there. It tasted just like my dish soap. I guess I'll find out when I pump/store in the drop in liners. No soap chance there...

Thanks!

I'm so sorry! Well, at least you know you won't have to deal with an excess lipase problem ... scalding milk and all that hassle. But it sure must have been frustrating to find that out. Good luck to you two!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

someone already posted this, but I wanted to add that even if it doesn't smell bad, sometimes EBM tastes like soap because the fats separate. It you really think it's dishsoap, then discard it, but sometimes EBM tastes/smells soapy and it's still just fine for baby.

I did give him some but he was rejecting it REALLY bad. He wanted nothing to do with it. He's had fresh EBM before so it's gotta be the fact it was dish soap...

I just pumped some more (into playtex drop in liners) so I'll see how it tastes later. I do really think it's dishsoap but we'll have to see!

Oh no, that's a real shame... I'm sorry.
    I hope there's more there for you to express today. You're doing such a wonderful job, relactation is not an easy thing to stick to, well done for keeping going. *hugs*

p.s I found this stuff in a health food shop yesterday called "Milk Flow" I don't know if you can get it in other parts of the world, but it's supposed to work wonders on low (or non-existent) milk supplys. It's by Naturo Pharm. the ingredients listed are Asafoetida, Calc Carb, Phytolacca, Pulsatilla. It cost NZ$16.80, it may be worth looking into? I'll let you know if it works for me.
    Last edited by Joybells; August 28th, 2006 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    That sucks so bad for you after all your hard work! At least you can take comfort in knowing that is just the beginning of your soon to be overflowing milk supply!

Did it smell odd too? You might want to read this info on excess lipase in breast milk, which can give EBM a soapy taste:

kelly mom says: "
    A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it."

Excess Lipase

I admire your determination and wish you guys continued, growing success!

yup i have excess lipase sucks. i try to feed him my milk imediatetly...forget freezing it yuk. it smellls and tastes horrible...actually it does remind me of dishsoap . but it;s like that everytime i freeze it. it's not as bad in the fridge but i have to use it right away
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Yeah, I don't think I have that though. The whole bottle still smelled like the dawn dishsoap I used to clean it with. I was a bit concerned about that because of the way the bottle smelled. Also, I was storing it on the door of my fridge I know not to do that again!

I'm currently pumping into playtex liners as I don't have to worry about a soap issue that way. I'm actually getting ready to taste what I pumped yesterday to see if it tastes like soap or not.

Thanks!