Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our 1st night not nursing before bed

Default Re: Our 1st night not nursing before bed

keep updating us!!! you are doing a great job!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Well we continue to prod along. I've, ahem, WE'VE made it a full week without nursing to bed and I put her to bed 6 out of the 7 days (I work late one night a week and DH does bedtime duty). For the most part she's stopped asking for milk at bedtime, although she did ask last night. The nighttime waking has improved and she's sleeping through the night more often than not. She did wake at 5am on Friday and we nursed and she was really wakeful last night. Not sure what was up. She was up at 11:45pm, but just wanted to be held in our chair and fell quickly back to sleep, was up at 3:30am but fell back to sleep on her own, and was up at 4:30am and was in definite need of a nursing session. What's interesting is that her suck seemed a bit week and I think she pacified more than she nursed, but she did drink some. It's still taking at least 30mins to get her down at night and she's still so uncertain what she wants at bedtime...the bed, the chair, her crib, to walk, to rock. I swear we play musical chairs for 20mins and that's WAY more frustrating than the marathon nursing ever was. And there's still some tears and some fussing. Not when she asks for milk and I say no, but just when she can't make up her mind what she wants. She'll ask for the bed but the minute we get there she starts crying and says no bed. Or she'll say crib and the minute I put her down in it she crys and says no crib. I really can't figure her out.

Our biggest challenge this weekend was nap time. This was the first weekend of our weaning process and I figured nursing to nap was too much like nursing to bed and would confuse her, so I didn't offer to nurse for her nap and she was fine with it.

So, we continue to make some progress. I think I've nursed only 2x's in the past 4 days. I keep wondering if a session will be our last time so I try to savor each one thinking it could be the last. But, really, I'm not sad at all. I think that's because she's responding so well...I'm not traumatizing her and in turn I'm not traumatizing me!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Well I think we are really done.

The last time we nursed was a week ago. She was sick with a viral cough and up half the night and I knew that nursing her would settle her and comfort her. She hasn't asked since and is STTN most nights. I did catch her staring at my chest the other night and I wanted to soooo badly to ask her if she wanted milk just to see if she did and partly to have one last nursing session. But, I didn't want to confuse her and I didn't want to backtrack on our progress so I didn't. It is amazing to me how quickly "milk" is no longer part of her routine or her vocabulary. And that did make me a little sad. But I'm also just so proud of us.

Now we are tackling how to get her to sleep in her crib w/out it taking 30-45mins of lying in bed with her or rocking her. Last night after 30mins of her playing with her doll while we lay in bed together I finally put her in her crib and walked out. She was MAD! But fell asleep about 5mins later. I wish she would realize that she can lie in her crib and play with dolly just like she lies in the bed with me.

So I guess I get to spend the next 8 months being a non-nursing parent until I get to embark on this journey with DC2. I hope that it will be an equally rewarding experience.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! i now know what i have to get ready for--my baby is only 6 months. but to be honest, your story made me sad because i know that it will hurt me when i have stop the breastfeeding.

Mami to Alyse Suzette bir 10.22.08.
    6 months old/breastfed since day 1

I know,, me too! I always get soooo teary when I read weaning stories!!!! Makes me heart so sad thinking about weaning my son!
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and