Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Struggling to continue

Default Struggling to continue

I am a proud Mama of a now 9 month old son. Breastfeeding has been a struggle since the beginning. He wouldn't latch, he'd fall asleep, he had acid reflux, he would fight every nursing. Finally outgrew that and then I had to go back to work. Now I am pumping 3x at work, usually takes a good 30-40 mins and still only get 1-2oz each side per session. I nurse once in the morning and pump the other side (I am usually full because he sleeps through the night) and nurse once in the evening after work. I use to nurse him to sleep but he decided he didn't want to do that anymore. We have to supplement a little to keep up with him while he's at daycare. I take Fenugreek, eat oatmeal everyday, drink a TON of water, eat healthy. My goal is a year. But now I have to leave on a 3 day trip away from my little guy and am afraid it will disrupt my already low milk production. I am bringing my pump but am not sure when or how often I will be able to pump. I know I will not be able to make the every 3-4 hours pumping, prob more like every 6 hours. Does anyone know how long it takes to start to affect milk production? I have taken the next day off when I get back so I can love my little guy all day uninterupted. Any words of encouragement or advice are much welcome!

Default Re: Struggling to continue

I am with you on this mama! My lo is also 9 mo and I am lucky if I get 2 oz at a time. I have tried everything in the book also.... I have just had to come to terms with the fact that not every mama can pump a large amount. (to those of you that get 4+ oz a session, count your lucky stars)

Sorry not much advise, just a and keep on trucking mama, it will all work out!
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

If you want to keep your milk supply up while you travel, I would suggest replacing every nursing session with a pumping session.

I don't know how often you will have the opportunity to pump, but I would definetly try to pump more while you are away. In order for your body to make more milk, milk must effectivly be removed. Maybe you could try pumping every 3 hours to help with your supply.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

And one thing I've realized....
    DON'T BE EMBARASSED ABOUT PUMPING!
    I would sometimes wait if I was busy running around working...
    I've learned I must be as scheduled as possible....I also try to pump on my commute to and from work....I've bought a couple of big Pashmina scarves that cover EVERYTHING! No one even knows your pumping...
    And who cares anyway....I realize I'd rather deal with the criticism than be short on a meal for DS....HTH - and lots of luck!!
    I totally agree with PP - you must stimulate to produce...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Oh - and how rude of me!!!

And congrats on your accomplishments thus far...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Thank you so much for your kind words! I sure hope everything works out. I am going to try to pump every 3-4 hours but I don't have much faith that I will be able to pull it off. I have one of those hooter-hider things I was going to use if need be. We've worked too hard to have to stop now

Just wanted to let you know that everything turned out great! I was only able to pump every 4-6 hours But I did it and survived. I spent my first day home loving my little man and breastfeeding without a glich 3 more months to go!

Congrats!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png