Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 mo-no interest

Default 8 mo-no interest

My dd is 8 months old (today!) and she has almost no interest in actually eating. We've tried lots of different foods, infant cereal (made with bm, juice, or water), sweet potatoes, peas, bananas, Cheerios, etc. She loves to sit in her high chair with us at meal time and she gazes longingly at our plates. I go to give her a bit and she makes horrid faces and clamps her mouth shut. I DO NOT push her, I'll let her play with the spoon, or I just put the bits of food on her tray to play with/eat.
    So should I continue what I'm doing? Just give her soft bits of food and if they make it in, fine; if not, fine? My boys were avid eaters so this is new, although she's my third child.
    Thanks!

Default Re: 8 mo-no interest

I'd definately follow your baby's cues. You can't force her to eat, right? And fwiw, I have 3 children as well -- one who started solids quite early, one who had no interest until 11 months and one who started at about 7 months. Babies just vary so much it's difficult to find an average, I think.

I was very worried and panicky about the food situation. My daughter would never eat baby food. Finally at about 10 months, she wanted table foods off our plate. Now at 11 months, she eats almost constantly. I agree with the last post, follow your baby's cues (as long as they are not losing weight).

No worries, food just leads to stinker poop! LOL

hi kele,

i agree, just go with the flow and follow your baby's signs. my dd didnt really eat until about 11 months old-and people were so suprised because shes always been a big kid. people were shocked when i said it was all breastmilk! put that just goes to show what an amazing fluid your milk is!

a really good book to read that you can get from LLL is "My Child Won't Eat". its been a great resource for me and very encouraging too.

and btw, lol to brittan-i definitely miss those exclusively breastfed poops when i change diapers now!

Same here.

My #3 baby didn't show an interest in food until she was one. She was easily my chubbiest AND healthiest child. I started offering her tidbits at 7 mos and she made the most comically horrid faces.

The nice thing about it was she skipped baby foods altogether and yes, a delay in the especially stinky diapers that begin when solids are introduced.

I did try to eat especially well to maintain a quality milk for her.

Thanks! I'll just keep setting little bits on her tray and leave it at that! I sure won't miss the stinky-poos!

Just wanted to say that I am going through a similar situation. My dd is 9 months and not interested at all. I am thankful that I don't have to deal with solid poopy diapers and I don't have to worry about bringing along food when I go out. She will take a bite of something and then not want anymore. The funny thing is she is such a chunker that everyone thinks she eats a ton but I just say, nope, just a breastfed baby.

I will also say that like most things it seems like it is "over night" and they have such an interest all of the sudden. Ds went from nothing to do with food to eating anything that you will give him!

I also have an 8 mo. old who is against solid food. Don't worry about it and try not to get too frustrated. Somedays DD will actually particpate in eating and other days she acts like we are trying to feed her poison glass or something. Just keep offering and let DD set the pace!