Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old won't accept bottle

Default 4 month old won't accept bottle

Can anyone help me with trying to get my son to take a bottle? He is 4 months old and has never had a pacifier or bottle. My husband introduced the bottle to him last night but he was confused and upset by it, even though my breast milk was in it.

I need to have a CATscan in two weeks and won't be able to nurse him for 2 days afterward, to make sure the dye is out of my system and doesn't get into the milk. I'm also anticipating a surgery where I will have to be away from him for the majority of the day.

I've read numerous times that he will reject a bottle from me, since he knows that I have what he REALLY wants. Should my husband continue practicing with him in the evenings, and I should be absent from the room? How long should we let him cry and be confused when he pushes the rubber nipple out of his mouth?

I tried to make him familiar with it again today, I gave him one breast (so he wasn't raving hungry) and then tried the bottle. The more upset and frustrated he got, I could tell I was losing, so I finished nursing him. I'm sad to have to wean him to the bottle at all, but I want it to be as smooth a transition as possible.

After my doctor's visits, I'm going right back to nursing 100%!!

I guess I did myself a disservice by not familiarizing him with the bottle sooner?!

Default Re: 4 month old won't accept bottle

My little girl took a bottle like a pro at 3 weeks, and at 3 months flat refused it and still does, so starting early doesn't guarantee they'll just keep taking it! I hope you manage it, and I know the ladies on this forum will give you some good advice. Good luck with the scan
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Could you try stepping out while your husband gives the bottle a shot? Lots of babies won't have nothing to do with a bottle if mamma is anywhere near.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Here is my story:
    DS was first introduced to the bottle at around three weeks old. He took to it great. We wanted to make sure he would take it when I went back to work at 6 weeks after my maternity leave was up. When I went back to work I only went back two days a week. Mondays and Fridays. My hubby works out of town a lot so he keeps him one day and my mom keep him the other day. DS took the bottle great! No problems at all. Until recently, he is 5 1/2 months old now and flat refuses the bottle. He will take it a few sips at a time when he is really hungry. This is between crying spells. He'll cry, then sip, cry then sip, etc. LUCKILY, I work about 15 minutes from home. I will feed him before work, then go home during my lunch break then rush home right at 5. DS might take 3 ounces before lunch and 3 ounces after lunch when I'm not there to feed him. He SHOULD be taking twice that amount on a normal feeding. So, DH and I had to cancel a trip to Vegas last week because of this. DS flat wont feed from the bottle like he needs to be. THerefore, we could not leave it. Bitter sweet. I guess I would be crying MANY rivers if he only wanted the bottle but in a way it kind of makes things difficult doesn't it? Even if Im not in the room DS still refuses the bottle. My mom even smelled the nipple on the bottle! She thought maybe it was rotten (dont ask me how)or that something was wring with it,,,,We use Dr. Brown's bottles and I even tried Medela bottles and got the same result. So, we do the best we can even though he still wont fully accept it. Only when he's REALLY hungry. Best of Luck. MAybe someone can offer a trick.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

my best (and most expensive) suggestion is to try different kinds of bottles. My lo was very picky about bottles and still prefers to nurse. We used breast feeding friendly bottles that had some kind of a valve that acted like real breasts. They were made by the first years company. After she outgrew that kind we have used playtex drop ins. A lot of babies like this kind because the nipple is shaped and feels like a real nipple. HTH. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. It is NOT fun to wean to a bottle even for a short time...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

It is hard. My almost 4 month old is the same way . .. no binky, no bottle, and in fact, when I work (I work PT on weekends only) he won't eat.

My suggestions:
    *keep trying other brands and types of nipples. Yeah, it's expensive if you buy them. Borrow some from friends perhaps if you can. We had the best luck with the Breastflow one, but then L started refusing it, so I bought a cheapo Gerber () the other day for DH to try. Don't be around at all while they try. Don't let him get too wound up or it turns into a completely negative experience, but having him be hungry might help too. My guy just flat out refuses, even if he's starving
    *Look into alternative methods. I know there's a FAQ on that in the resources here somewhere. It's things like cup feeding (!) and syringe feeding that you could use and may be more financially friendly, since this is just for a few days.

Hang in there. You guys will get through this
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I got my DD to drink out of a free flow sippy cup (NOT the nonspill kind with magic valves!) when she was about 4.5 months old as she started flat out refusing bottles too. I tried loads (Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature, Playtex Drop Ins which were the most promising, Breastflow, etc etc) and she wanted nothing to do with them.

I found relief in this cheap little cup:

She's been drinking out of them like a pro ever since.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

you could also try a spoon for feeding its messy and a big pain..

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/radioisotopes.html

can you call and find out what kind of dye/drug they are going to use some are safe and you can breastfeed as soon as you feal up to it after your surgury!

What kind of bottle are you using? Have you tried an Adiri Natural Nurser? They're the ONLY bottle DS would take after a while. Though I strongly suggest the slowest flow kind...we made that mistake http://www.amazon.com/Adiri-Natural-...8790580&sr=8-1

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!