Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough milk now that I'm back to work

Default Not enough milk now that I'm back to work

I've been back to work for a month now and I am not pumping enough at work to feed my daughter for the next day and right now have no choice but to supplement w/formula which I really don't want to do. My DD is 3 months old and is drinking about 5-6 ounces per feeding. The first time I pump in the a.m. I get at least 4-5 ounces and sometimes 6 ounces. The next two times I'm lucky to get three ounces! Which basically means for her feedings the next day she is getting half breast milk and half formula. On the weekends I breastfeed exclusively, just more often. What could be the problem, I really hate to have to give her formula.

Jennifer

Default Re: Not enough milk now that I'm back to work

Have you tried anything to boost your supply? More Milk Plus (motherlove.com) is a combo of several herbs that help with supply. Oatmeal is a natural lactation aid too.

Is she waking for night feeds? If not, maybe you could pump once at night to help boost supply? Also, how often are you pumping at work and for how long? Could you add in another pumping session to help create more demand? What kind of pump are you using?

Herbs and more pumping might do the trick! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm currently taking fenugreek three times aday 3 pills each time. I drink tons of water and just recently heard about the oatmeal, so I'm going to try that as well. I've been taking the fenugreek for a week now, I was told it should work within 4 - 7 days. It may be helping a little, but not a whole lot like I read it would.

No, she is not waking at night for a feeding. I nurse her around 9:00 at night, then she is done till around 6:00 a.m. I normally don't go to bed right after she does, so I could try pumping before I go to bed. Not sure about waking up in the middle of the night to pump, but hey I guess I'll try anything. I pump twice at work for aprox. 10 minutes, they seem to be emptied by then. I'm using a medela pump in style.

To create more 'demand', try pumping for 20 min. Even though the breasts might be empty, unless you create more demand for MORE milk, you'll continue to get the same amount.

How much is a 'ton' of water? Too much water can cause milk supply issues as well. You should drink only to thirst. Don't drown yourself!

Can you add an extra pumping session in at work? That might help.

If you could cluster pump before you go to bed (10 min on, 10 min off - totaling 30 min of pumping in one hour), that might help as well. And once a night pumping might help too.

Try upping your fenugreek. It should be at a dosage of 4 times a day. You can max 4 pills 4 times a day. So, maybe upping that will work too. Oatmeal - The best is to eat 3 cups a day. The kind you cook, not the instant.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again, I will try pumping longer, that makes since. I'm lucky I can pump twice a day at work, so adding another pumping seesion is not possible, but I will pump before bed and see if that helps. I'm desperate at this point, I just got done pumping after lunch and only pumped 2 ounces, that's total between both sides!! I will also try the oatmeal that you cook, I've been using the instant!?! Have you heard of blessed thistle? That is also supposed to help with milk supply.

More Milk Plus (motherlove.com) has fenugreek, blessed thistle and some others that work well for lactation. It's alot easier than a TON of pills if you take them separate.

Are you stressed when you are at work? Do you have trouble letting down? That could be why you're not getting much milk.

If you can get up earlier than the baby (or pump after she eats) a cluster pump in the morning and a cluster pump in the evening could make all the difference in the world!

And def pump longer! Tell that body to make more milk!

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Hi Jennifer,
    Felicia has given you some good ideas here. I would like to know about your pump.

What kind?
    New or used? How much has it been used by you or someone else?

This could be part of the problem. Some pumps just aren't meant to last that long.

Also, some more questions:
    Is dd at a sitter or daycare?
    Near work?
    What time do you leave/drop her off/pick her up?
    How often does she take 5-6 ounces during your time apart?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a handle on your situation!

I hav ethe same situation. I pump twice at work and i always get more the first time, 4 oz. then the second time I get 3 1/2 oz. I pump on my days off 45 min to one hour after morning feeding and right before going to bed to make up a 5 oz bottle per feeding. What I found helpful during the pumping session is that as there is suction I apply compression to the breast to express more milk and have a faster let down. I also pump at least 10 minutes. ands go no longer than 4 hours without pumping. Over all I believe you are having a fair supply. Your body is just not being stimulated due to being away from him. Try visualization, baby clothing, picture..
    Good luck I hope this works out form you.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    Hi Jennifer,
    Felicia has given you some good ideas here. I would like to know about your pump.

What kind?
    New or used? How much has it been used by you or someone else?

This could be part of the problem. Some pumps just aren't meant to last that long.

Also, some more questions:
    Is dd at a sitter or daycare?
    Near work?
    What time do you leave/drop her off/pick her up?
    How often does she take 5-6 ounces during your time apart?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a handle on your situation!
    I'm using a Medela Pump In Style - brand new but I've used it for two months
    My dd is at a sitter
    No she is not near me while I am at work
    I feed her at 6 in the morning and drop her off at 7
    I pick her up by 5 then go right home and feed her.
    She drinks 6 ounces at least twice while I'm gone and sometimes if my sitter can't hold her off she'll give her a couple ounces of formula until I arrive, but that usually doesn't happen.
    Thanks for your help!

i understand your frustration, jennifer. i've been back to work for about 4 weeks now. in the beginning, it was the same for me. i'd pump about 5oz in the first session and less in the subsequent sessions. so that's when i decided to take fenugreek and drink mother's milk tea. after a few days, i was and still am able to pump at least 4oz during the 2nd and 3rd pumping sessions here at work. my dd is 3 months old and she wakes up once in the middle of the night to nurse. i put her down to sleep around 7:30pm...and i pump before i go to bed (around 10pm) since she typically gets up around 3am. as felicia recommended, pumping more and longer will definitely help!