Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: good news and bad news

Default good news and bad news

The good: Well, my pumping has been going great. With Nora, we had to supplement from day one of pumping and I never was able to keep up with her demand. This time I'm actually pumping more than he can eat so I think I might be able to actually build up a freezer stash (was never even a remote possibility with Nora).

The bad: It friggin hurts! I have an Ameda Purely Yours that I used for a while with Nora before switching to an Avent Isis. Well apparently I didn't clean the Isis well enough before putting it away because it has some sort of mildew in it so I broke out the electric pump again and like I said my output is great. But it's making my nipples sore. The Isis had these soft plastic inserts to put on the horns, but the APY is just hard plastic. My nipple skin sticks a bit, though it's better if I can put a little BM on there to lubricate. Even when lubricated though it make me sore. My nipples were perfectly fine before I started pumping and now they are getting really sensitive and red on the ends. Any advice or ideas? Do you think it's something I'll get used to, like nursing the first few weeks, or do you think there is a problem with the horn size or something?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: good news and bad news

I know you said you have lubricated with bm, but have you tried using just a little olive oil? That really helped me with the soreness.

I guess the soft insert from your hand pump won't fit in the other huh?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

sounds like your horns are too small, can you get a bigger size?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

can you use some nipple ointment before/after you pump? not sure if it would help, but it cant hurt and it would keep it lubed!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

The insert has mildew on it, but there is only one so I'd only have one comfy boob if it fit. I've heard of using olive oil- has anyone actually done it? I was worried about it getting in the milk.

I'm not sure about horn size. I want to explore other possibilities before investing in new horns cause we're short on cash right now. Plus, if you buy new ones and they don't feel any better can you exchange them?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    The insert has mildew on it, but there is only one so I'd only have one comfy boob if it fit. I've heard of using olive oil- has anyone actually done it? I was worried about it getting in the milk.

I'm not sure about horn size. I want to explore other possibilities before investing in new horns cause we're short on cash right now. Plus, if you buy new ones and they don't feel any better can you exchange them?
    You need two comfy boobs, not one.

I've used olive oil and had no problems with it getting in the milk. Just use is sparingly.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Can you try a lower setting?

Yay for good output!!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I've only been pumping for 4 days, so I was hoping I'd just get used to it, but it seems to be getting worse, not better.

I'll try turning the vacuum down. I get more milk with it turned up, but it's probably no good in the long run if I have sore nipples because of it. I'll also try the olive oil or some lanolin.

I have a tube of Lansinoh, but I got it when I had Nora. Do you think it's still good?

Tiff, I'm thrilled about the output!
    --Anonymous

Yeah for great output!!!!

Paige you can use my PISA if you want, well except for during B'roo , I have all new/unused parts (tubing, membranes, etc) that you can have too, I ended up with several sets after rentals etc... I also have size large horns you can use but they are used, you could sterilize them, I dunno, anyway the offer is there is you need it

Oh and I agree it sounds like you need bigger horns
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Oooh, I remember those nasty hard plastic shields on the APY... Do you see your nips rubbing against the side of the collection tube- is that what you mean when you say they nipple skin is sticking? If so, they're too small.

Definitely try some olive oil- just make sure you get the good stuff, not some cheapo brand that may be adulterated with some other oil.

Can you boil the mildew-y Isis parts? Like really boil them- not just for 5 minutes but for half an hour or something? I am sure that would kill the mildew.

Finally, I hate to bring this up, but is there any chance the redness on your nips is thrush? Just the beginning stages?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"