Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping into previously ebm

Default pumping into previously ebm

i've been lucky enough to start back to work on a part time schedule, working half days so i've only needed to pump once during the day.
    starting today, i'm back full time and will need to pump 3 times. i have 8 oz bottles that i pump into and i'm getting between 2 and 4 ounces a session.
    so here's my question....is there any reason why i can't pump into the same bottles each time, adding to the milk from earlier even though the milk is being cooled in between? i have an older PIS and there isn't really enough room to carry bottles for each of the 3 sessions.
    thanks!

Default Re: pumping into previously ebm

Yes...you can pump into previously ebm, so long as the chilled milk is greater in quantity than the milk you will be expressing.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: pumping into previously ebm

Here's what I always did- I had bottles to pump into and bottles to put into the fridge. I carried a separate bag with me and put the EBM into the bag in the fridge and then had separate bottles I pumped into. That way I never had to be afraid that I'd overflow the bottles that I'd already pumped into.