Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help w/ scalding and disposable liners

Default Need help w/ scalding and disposable liners

I read the sticky about scalding my milk to address the lipase issue, and I noticed that many women use a bottle warmer to do this. So, I bought a First Years bottle warmer and a digital thermometer. I pump into disposable liners and freeze my milk in them as well, so I tried scalding my milk in the liner. I wasn't sure how much water to put in the bottle warmer, so I filled it up as high as I could. I placed the thermometer in the milk, and my plan was to leave the milk at 168 for 15 seconds, but I noticed that the temperature quickly began to rise past that. So I guaged it as best as I could. Also, as the milk warmed, it started to rise in the liner, and I became a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get it out without burning myself. When I took the liner out, I realized that the liner had actually SHRUNK. So, I obviously need some guidance here. Any other mommas scald their milk in a bottle warmer using disposable liners? If so, how much water? How long should I leave the milk in there if the temperature doesn't remain constant? Why is the liner shrinking? What am I doing wrong?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Need help w/ scalding and disposable liners

Hmmmmmmmmm - can you scald in a bottle then pour into the liner? I bet the plastic of the liner can't withstand the amount of heat.

Anyway when I did it with the bottle, I think the water came up to only like an inch or so up on the bottle.

So, I'd try 2 things - less water and try it in a bottle.

You could practice without milk - put some cool or room temp water in your bottle and practice like that so that you won't really waste any milk if it gets too hot etc.

Soon you'll find your groove and scalding won't be a big chore - just something you do.

Good luck and post back with progress.

Oh also the temp probably won't remain constant - it will likely continue to rise.

So if you are doing 160 once it hits then start your counting for the 15 seconds

Or, alternatively you could try 145 and then start your counting for that proper amount of time as well (was it 45? I know it's in the lipase post but it's been a while since I scalded).

Thanks for the response! I've been experimenting over the past week and am still having some problems. I'm going to post another thread since my questions have changed. Thanks again!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!