Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting ready to work

Question getting ready to work

I go back to work in 2 weeks, and have looked on kellymom to determine how much milk to bring, but am still unsure. I know it says to bring 1-1.5 oz for every hr you are gone. This would be between 9-14oz. I work 8hrs shifts, some day shifts, and some evening shifts. Working different shifts also makes this a little more difficult to figure out. She nurses every 2-2.5 hrs during the day and 3-4 at night, but if she takes a bottle she drinks 4 oz at a sitting. I don't think she drinks 4 oz everytime she nurses. Will she go longer between feedings when she is given a bottle or will she still eat every 2 hrs, then she would be drinking 5 4oz bottles a day while I am gone, and that doesn't make sense to me.

I have lots of frozen milk in 3 oz portions, can you mix the milk from different days once it is thawed, This way I can make 2oz bottles in case she doesn't drink all four. It would be less waste. Or should I add 1 oz to each bag in the freezer so there are 4oz in the bags?

Also, there will be some weekends she will be spending the night away from us, and my DH and I work weekends, and won't have daycare, so we have to rely on family. How much milk do I send. I know I will be doing a lot of pumping during that time to keep my supply up.

Hopefully my questions make sense, and you all have some suggestions for me. Thanks in advance.

Autumn
    Mommy to Lilliana Kristine
    Born Jan 31st 2009

Birth: 6lbs 6oz
    2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

Default Re: getting ready to work

hi Autumn, I'm Autumn too

I found that 2oz bottles worked best, give 2 oz try other soothing methods then if all else fails give another 2 oz bottle.... It took me a while but we finally settled on 12oz a day for my DS, we had some days in the begining where he drank up to 16oz maybe more but eventually we both leveled out and i was able to pump what he drank each day... you kind of have to 'feel it out' IME

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Good luck tomorrow!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks. I actually start on Thursday. I just have to work 1 day this week. It is nice that I get to ease into it.
    Born Jan 31st 2009

2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

I agree with Autumns post. Two oz was a good increment for us to start with in the first week or so while we figured out just how much DD would drink. That way you aren't wasting any. DD ended up taking 3, 4oz bottles during the workday, but I also know some LOs who take far less and rather hold out for mom and tank up when they are together. So it may take a few days of trial and error to figure out what works best for your LO.

I would think that once you figure out how much she drinks during a typical workday you could then figure out how much extra to have on hand for the nights you are away as well. And yes, pump, pump, pump on those days to keep your supply in check. You really have to be diligent about it.

Yes, you can combine milk from different sessions, just make sure it's at the same temperature when you combine it (you don't want to add fresh pumped to already frozen or you risk thawing part of the frozen). I would freeze in smaller increments at least initially. Once we knew how much DD would consistently drink in one session I felt comfortable freezing in 4oz increments.

Good luck!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arhanes View Post
    Thanks. I actually start on Thursday. I just have to work 1 day this week. It is nice that I get to ease into it.
    It was really smart to arrange it like that! Wish I'd thought of it when DS was a baby.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Well I went back to work, I have worked 4 days already. I am lucky I have only worked 2 in a row, then 2 off then 2 more, so it is a nice way to ease into it. I was concerned that I wasn't pumping enough at work, I was only get 8oz total during the day and baby eats about 9 oz, but today I was able to get 11oz. I can always pump at least twice for 15 minutes during the day and sometimes a third. My concern is that she only eating an average of 7 times during a 24 hr period becasue she sleeps a 6-8 hr stretch at night. She is 12 weeks. And when she nurses she only nurses for about 7 minutes. She has 5-7 wet diapers and 1-2 dirty diapers. I believe this is ok.
    I am just wondering if it ever gets easier to go to work and if you ever stop worrying. It seems if I am not worried about her getting too much milk I am worried she is not getting enough. It also seems that the days I work she sleeps pretty much all day. I am lucky becasue she is staying home with dad for 2.5 months. He took his paternity leave after I went back to work.
    Born Jan 31st 2009

2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

Congrats on getting 6-8 hr stretches at night already, that calls for a whoo hoo!
    Starting back to work can be so challenging, I loved breastfeeding my little one but when I started working part time I learned quickly that it was really important for me to track of her feedings and keep up the pumping to maintain my supply, which I found dwindled if I didn’t really keep to a routine. I was so excited when I found Baby Insights http://www.babblesoft.com/ an online tool to keep track of her feedings and pumping schedule, they even have a cool iPhone app! Hope things continue to go well!